Deleted neighborhoods, missing something about working with inequalities

In summary, when solving for limits in calculus, the answers in the back of the book may not match up perfectly because the goal is to find sufficient bounds to satisfy the requirements, not necessarily the optimal or prettiest bounds.
eraserhd
This is from a calculus textbook (self-study), but my problem is not with the calculus material itself. I feel I'm missing something (obvious!) from algebra. In any case:

The problem statement

Find an appropriate number L (a limit), and a deleted neighborhood N of a, such that a given e > 0,

L - e < f(x) < L + e when x is in N.

Exercise I can solve

I can solve most of the exercises, but I can't figure out some of them. Here's one I can solve:

1. f(x) = 5 - 3x, a = 2

The answer in the back of the book, which is my answer, is:

L = -1, 0 < | x - 2 | < e/3

My work is, L = 5 - 3*2 = 5 - 6 = -1
L - e < 5 - 3x < L + e
-1 - e < 5 - 3x < -1 + e
-6 - e < -3x < -6 + e
(-6 - e)/-3 > x > (-6 + e)/-3
2 + e/3 > x > 2 - e/3
e/3 > x - 2 > -e/3
0 < | x - 2 | < e/3 (to delete x=2)

Exercise I can't solve

(or at least can't get the answer in the back of the book):

3. f(x) = 4/x, a = 2

The answer in the back of the book is:

0 < | x - 2 | < 2e/(2 + e)

Here's how far I get:

L = 4/2 = 2
2 - e < 4/x < 2 + e
-e < 4/x - 2 < e
-e/4 < x - 1/2 < e/4

Now, here is where I'm missing something. I can either delete 1/2 (instead of 2),

0 < | x - 1/2 | < e/4

or, if I subtract 3/2 instead,

-e/4 - 3/2 < x - 2 < e/4 - 3/2

I can't unify the leftmost and rightmost terms because they don't have the same absolute value.

Trying really hard to get the book's answer, working from one of the above equations, I can multiply by 8/(2+e):

-e/4 < x - 1/2 < e/4
(8/(2+e)) * (-e/4) < (8/(2+e)) * (x - 1/2) < (8/(2+e))*(e/4)
-2e/(2+e) < (8x-4)/(2+e) < 2e/(2+e)

So now I'm stuck the other way because I can't reduce (8x-4)/(2+e) to (x-2).

There's more problems that seem to use the same kind of manipulation that I'm failing to find.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason your answers won't match up to the back of the book to often (and the reason why the question asks for "a" neighborhood rather than "the" ) is because these problems are about rough estimations, and just finding sufficient bounds to satisfy our requirements, and not necessarily the optimal bounds.

For example, If I asked what deleted neighborhood around x=4 will ensure 4-1 < [f(x) = x] < 4+1, whilst the optimal and most precise solution would be [itex]0<|x-4|< 1[/itex], [itex]0< |x-4| < 1/2[/itex] would suffice as well, or any other stricter inequality.

Also, your answers don't necessarily have to be pretty. For example, if we start with [tex]2-\epsilon < 4/x < 2+\epsilon[/tex], invert, multiply by 4 and subtract 2 from all, we get [tex] \frac{-2\epsilon}{2+\epsilon} < x-2 < \frac{2\epsilon}{2-\epsilon}[/tex].

Whilst that is "optimal", the result we want to imply (that [tex]|4/x -2 |<\epsilon[/tex]) still holds if we make the bounds tighter and use [tex] 0 < |x-2| < \min \left( \left|\frac{-2\epsilon}{2+\epsilon} \right|, \left|\frac{2\epsilon}{2-\epsilon} \right| \right)[/tex]

1. What are deleted neighborhoods in the context of inequalities?

Deleted neighborhoods refer to the set of real numbers that are excluded from a given inequality. This means that any number within a deleted neighborhood will not satisfy the inequality.

2. Why is it important to consider deleted neighborhoods when working with inequalities?

Considering deleted neighborhoods is important because it helps to accurately represent the solution set of an inequality. Ignoring deleted neighborhoods can lead to incorrect solutions and misunderstandings of the problem.

3. How do we determine which numbers are in a deleted neighborhood for a given inequality?

To determine which numbers are in a deleted neighborhood, we need to look at the inequality symbol. If the inequality symbol is "less than" or "greater than", then the number is included in the deleted neighborhood. If the inequality symbol is "less than or equal to" or "greater than or equal to", then the number is not included in the deleted neighborhood.

4. Can deleted neighborhoods be represented graphically?

Yes, deleted neighborhoods can be represented graphically as an open circle on a number line. The open circle indicates that the number is not included in the solution set of the inequality.

5. How can understanding deleted neighborhoods help us solve and graph inequalities?

Understanding deleted neighborhoods helps us to correctly identify the solution set of an inequality, which is necessary for graphing the inequality. It also helps us to avoid common mistakes and accurately represent the solution set on a graph.