Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Delta Function Identity in Modern Electrodynamics, Zangwill

1. Jan 15, 2016 #1
    I am currently reading Modern Electrodynamics by Andrew Zangwill and came across a section listing some delta function identities (Section 1.5.5 page 15 equation 1.122 for those interested), and there is one identity that really confused me. He states:
    \begin{align*}
    \frac{\partial}{\partial r_k}\frac{\partial}{\partial r_m}=\frac{3r_k r_m - r^2 \delta_{km}}{r^5}-\frac{4\pi}{3}\delta_{km}\delta(\mathbf{r})\\
    \end{align*}
    I am having trouble with figuring out how to show this identity is true. If anyone can help get me on the right track to see how to achieve this identity I would greatly appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2016 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Hint: Write ##r## in terms of ##r_k## and use (1.121).

4. Jan 17, 2016 #3
    So I wrote ##r## in terms of ##r_{i}## , but I just needed some dummy index so really any can work. The problem I ran into was in finding the final term:
    \begin{align*}
    -\frac{4\pi}{3}\delta_{km}\delta(\mathbf{r})
    \end{align*}
    I know the derivative I performed only works with ##r \neq 0##, and the Laplacian of ##\frac{1}{r}## gives you a ##-4\pi\delta(\mathbf{r})##, but I am just struggling to see how this particular term comes up...any thoughts?

5. Jan 18, 2016 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Suppose that for ##r=0## there is an additional term ##c \delta_{km}\delta({\bf r})##, where ##c## is a constant that you need to determine. (You are allowed to assume that because, a priori, ##c## can even be zero, which would be the same as if that term was not present at all.) Now put ##k=m##, sum over ##k##, and use (1.141). This will give you the non-zero value of ##c##.

6. Jan 18, 2016 #5

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Is there something missing in this equation? It seems to me that the left-hand side is an operator, while the right-hand side is a function. I'm guessing that it's supposed to be:

\begin{align*}
    \frac{\partial}{\partial r_k}\frac{\partial}{\partial r_m} \frac{1}{r} =\frac{3r_k r_m - r^2 \delta_{km}}{r^5}-\frac{4\pi}{3}\delta_{km}\delta(\mathbf{r})\\
    \end{align*}

7. Jan 18, 2016 #6

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Stevendaryl, your guess is correct.

8. Jan 18, 2016 #7
    Yeah, that was just a typo. The ##\frac{1}{r}## definitely needs to be there. Sorry about that.

9. Jan 18, 2016 #8
    Thanks for all of your help, I was finally able to figure it out because of your useful directions!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook