Show that the integral of the Dirac delta function is equal to 1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Doitright
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I am reading the Quantum Mechanics, 2nd edition by Bransden and Joachain. On page 777, the book gives an example of Dirac delta function.
$\delta_\epsilon (x) = \frac{\epsilon}{\pi(x^2 + \epsilon^2)}$

I am wondering how I can show $\lim_{x\to 0+} \int_{a}^{b} \delta_\epsilon (x) dx$ equals to 1. I've thought about using L'Hospital's rule, but there are two variables, $x$ and $\epsilon$, so seems I cannot use the rule directly. I've been stuck in this for some time. Will be grateful if some one can point the direction for me. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I've tried integration, and get $\frac{\arctan(\frac{x}{\epsilon})}{\pi}$. However, seems there is still no way out.
 
Doitright said:
I've tried integration, and get $\frac{\arctan(\frac{x}{\epsilon})}{\pi}$. However, seems there is still no way out.
I think you shouldn' t make the limit for x-->0+ but for epsilon-->0+.

--
lightarrow
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Doitright
Doitright said:
I've tried integration, and get $\frac{\arctan(\frac{x}{\epsilon})}{\pi}$. However, seems there is still no way out.

You need to put two dollar-signs around an equation to render it in LaTex:

\$\$\frac{\arctan(\frac{x}{\epsilon})}{\pi}\$\$

renders as:

$$\frac{\arctan(\frac{x}{\epsilon})}{\pi}$$

You basically have the answer there:

[itex]\int_{a}^{b} \frac{\epsilon dx}{\pi (\epsilon^2 + x^2)} = \frac{1}{\pi} arctan(\frac{x}{\epsilon})|_a^b = \frac{1}{\pi} (arctan(\frac{a}{\epsilon}) - arctan(\frac{b}{\epsilon}))[/itex]

In the limit as [itex]\epsilon \rightarrow 0[/itex], [itex]\frac{a}{\epsilon} \rightarrow \pm \infty[/itex] and [itex]\frac{b}{\epsilon} \rightarrow \pm \infty[/itex]

[itex]arctan(+\infty) = \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]
[itex]arctan(-\infty) = -\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]

So if [itex]a > 0[/itex], you get [itex]arctan(\frac{a}{\epsilon}) \rightarrow +\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]
If [itex]a > 0[/itex], you get [itex]arctan(\frac{a}{\epsilon}) \rightarrow -\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]
So if [itex]b > 0[/itex], you get [itex]arctan(\frac{b}{\epsilon}) \rightarrow +\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]
If [itex]b > 0[/itex], you get [itex]arctan(\frac{b}{\epsilon}) \rightarrow -\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Demystifier, Doitright and PeroK
Note also that for any ##\epsilon## you have ##\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \delta_{\epsilon}(x)dx =1##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Doitright