I Show that the integral of the Dirac delta function is equal to 1

Hi,

I am reading the Quantum Mechanics, 2nd edition by Bransden and Joachain. On page 777, the book gives an example of Dirac delta function.
$\delta_\epsilon (x) = \frac{\epsilon}{\pi(x^2 + \epsilon^2)}$

I am wondering how I can show $\lim_{x\to 0+} \int_{a}^{b} \delta_\epsilon (x) dx$ equals to 1. I've thought about using L'Hospital's rule, but there are two variables, $x$ and $\epsilon$, so seems I cannot use the rule directly. I've been stuck in this for some time. Will be grateful if some one can point the direction for me. Thanks.

PeroK

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Have you tried integrating that function?

I've tried integration, and get $\frac{\arctan(\frac{x}{\epsilon})}{\pi}$. However, seems there is still no way out.

I've tried integration, and get $\frac{\arctan(\frac{x}{\epsilon})}{\pi}$. However, seems there is still no way out.
I think you shouldn' t make the limit for x-->0+ but for epsilon-->0+.

--
lightarrow

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
You need to put two dollar-signs around an equation to render it in LaTex:

\$\$\frac{\arctan(\frac{x}{\epsilon})}{\pi}\$\$

renders as:

$$\frac{\arctan(\frac{x}{\epsilon})}{\pi}$$

You basically have the answer there:

[itex]\int_{a}^{b} \frac{\epsilon dx}{\pi (\epsilon^2 + x^2)} = \frac{1}{\pi} arctan(\frac{x}{\epsilon})|_a^b = \frac{1}{\pi} (arctan(\frac{a}{\epsilon}) - arctan(\frac{b}{\epsilon}))[/itex]

In the limit as [itex]\epsilon \rightarrow 0[/itex], [itex]\frac{a}{\epsilon} \rightarrow \pm \infty[/itex] and [itex]\frac{b}{\epsilon} \rightarrow \pm \infty[/itex]

[itex]arctan(+\infty) = \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]
[itex]arctan(-\infty) = -\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]

So if [itex]a > 0[/itex], you get [itex]arctan(\frac{a}{\epsilon}) \rightarrow +\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]
If [itex]a > 0[/itex], you get [itex]arctan(\frac{a}{\epsilon}) \rightarrow -\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]
So if [itex]b > 0[/itex], you get [itex]arctan(\frac{b}{\epsilon}) \rightarrow +\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]
If [itex]b > 0[/itex], you get [itex]arctan(\frac{b}{\epsilon}) \rightarrow -\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]

PeroK

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Note also that for any ##\epsilon## you have ##\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \delta_{\epsilon}(x)dx =1##.

I know how to prove it now. Thanks for the help.