Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Demonstration analysis and good books?

1. May 2, 2011 #1
    When I try to demonstrate that lim (x^2)=4
    x--->2

I found a different delta (delta=min{2-sqrt(epsilon-4),sqrt(epsilon+4)-2}, towards the one that is written in Demidovich┬┤s book (delta=epsilon/5). Could someone help me?
    Could someone tell me, too, a good algebra, calculus and real analysis book? Is it ok if i try analysis next semester absent a more advanced calculus (without calculus 2)? I need some books that explain polar coordinates too (good ones for beginner).
    Thanks and sorry for my mathematical notation.

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You want [itex]|x^2- 4|= |(x- 2)(x+ 2)|= |x+ 2||x- 2|< \epsilon[/itex].
    So we can write [itex]|x- 2|< \epsilon/|x+ 2|[/itex]
    But we need a value, [itex]\delta[/itex] that does NOT depend on x so that is [itex]|x- 2|< \delta[/itex] then [itex]|x- 2|< \epsilon/|x+ 2|[/itex]. That means we want [itex]\delta< \epsilon/|x+2|[/itex].

If |x- 2|< 1 (The "1" is chosen just because it is simple. Any positive number would do.) then -1< x- 2< 1 so 1< x< 3 and then 3< x+2< 5 so that 3< |x+ 2|< 5. Then
    [tex]\frac{1}{5}< \frac{1}{|x+2|}< 1/3[/tex]
    and so
    [tex]\frac{\epsilon}{5}< \frac{\epsilon}{|x+2|}[/tex]

That is, if
    [tex]|x- 2|< \frac{\epsilon}{5}[/tex]
    and |x- 2|< 1 as assumed above to get this, we will have
    [tex]|x-2|< \frac{\epsilon}{|x+2|}[/tex]
    so
    [tex]|x-2||x+2|= |x^2- 4|< \epsilon[/tex]
    as need.

In other words, take [itex]\delta[/itex] to be the smaller of [itex]\epsilon/5[/itex] or 1.

Analysis is basically the theory behind the Calculus. I would NOT take an analysis course without having completed the Calculus sequence.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?