1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Density and simple harmonic motion

1. Jan 21, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mass of density d floats in a liquid of density d_L. The mass is then pushed down a distance x and let go. Use Newton's Second Law to demonstrate that the mass will undergo simple harmonic motion. Recall that the SHM equation is d^2x/dt^2 + w^2*x = 0. Assume there is no friction. Find w in terms of whatever variables needed.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that Newton's 2nd law is sum F=ma, and Torque = I*omega. I don't see how I can relate this to simple harmonic motion, which involves things moving back and forth in the same pattern. The answer key says that w=SQRT(D_l * g/(D*H)). However, I don't know what I am missing to solve this problem. I don't know where to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2007 #2
    I think a free body diagram would be a good place to start. Then I would use Newton's second law. Torque, huh?

4. Jan 21, 2007 #3
    When the object is at rest, I have mg pulling down and buoyant force pushing up. They are equal in magnitude. The net torque is also zero.

When the object is pushed down I have f pushing down, mg pulling down, and buoyant force pushing up. This extra f is enough to push it down. My net torque is

T = IW

However, why would I use this? Isn't torque normally used when things are rotated?

T = F x R

What R in this case? Mg and buoyant are both pushing from the center in the free body diagram so I don't think there is an R. So f is the only force that contributes to the torque am I correct?

5. Jan 21, 2007 #4
    Torque shouldn't come into play. You've listed some forces, now put them into equations.

6. Jan 21, 2007 #5
    For the object at rest

I got

B - mg = 0

When it's pushed down

B - mg -f = -ma

Since B =mg

f = ma

I already know this though so how does it help prove that it's in simple harmonic motion with a repeating pattern?

7. Jan 21, 2007 #6
    Never mind I got it now. Thanks a lot for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?