Density Matrix (pure state) Property

In summary, the density matrix is definite positive (or semi-definite positive). You can prove this by using the determinant of the matrix.
Toten
Hello.

I need some help to prove the first property of the density matrix for a pure state.
According to this property, the density matrix is definite positive (or semi-definite positive). I've been trying to prove it mathematically, but I can't.

I need to prove that |a|^2 x |c|^2 + |b|^2 x |d|^2 + ab*c*d + a*bcd* >= 0,
where a, b, c, and d are complex numbers, and * means the complex conjugate.

My Density Matrix M (2x2) has the following elements:
m11 = |a|^2, m12 = ab*, m21 = a*b, m22 = |b|^2

And (c; d) is just a ket in the C2 space.

I hope you can help me. Thanks you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Even if the density matrix is defined for a ensemble of spinors, the property holds true. How can you prove it?

Probably you have that [itex]|a|^2+|b|^2=1[/itex], because trace should be 1.

You matrix is Hermitian. Trace is the sum of eigenvalues, determinant is the product of eigenvalues. The determinant of your matrix is zero. Therefore one of the eigenvalues is zero, the other must be 1. Therefore your matrix is semi-positive definite.

arkajad said:
Probably you have that [itex]|a|^2+|b|^2=1[/itex], because trace should be 1.

You matrix is Hermitian. Trace is the sum of eigenvalues, determinant is the product of eigenvalues. The determinant of your matrix is zero. Therefore one of the eigenvalues is zero, the other must be 1. Therefore your matrix is semi-positive definite.

Thank you! I hadn't realize that the determinant of the density matrix is zero. This gave me an idea on how to reorganize the terms in the following expression:

|a|^2 x |c|^2 + |b|^2 x |d|^2 + ab*c*d + a*bcd*
= aa*cc* + bb*dd* + ab*c*d + a*bcd*
= ac*a*c + bd*b*d + ac*b*d + bd*a*c
= ac*(a*c + b*d) + bd*(b*d + a*c)
= ac*(a*c + b*d) + bd*(a*c + b*d)
= (ac* + bd*)(a*c + b*d)
= (ac* + bd*)(ac* + bd*)*
= |ac* + bd*|^2, which is always greater than or equal to zero.

I don't know if this is the easiest way to prove it, but it is definitely one way.

Thanks for your help!

1. What is a density matrix in the context of pure states?

A density matrix, also known as a quantum-mechanical density operator, is a mathematical representation of a pure state in quantum mechanics. It contains information about the probability amplitudes of all possible states of a quantum system.

2. How is the density matrix used to describe pure states?

The density matrix is used to describe pure states by representing the state as a linear combination of all possible pure states, with each pure state having a corresponding probability amplitude. This allows for the calculation of various physical quantities, such as expectation values and probabilities, of the pure state.

3. What are the properties of a density matrix for a pure state?

There are several properties of a density matrix for a pure state, including: it is Hermitian (equal to its own conjugate transpose), it has a trace of 1, it has non-negative eigenvalues, and it is idempotent (multiplying the density matrix by itself yields the same matrix).

4. How is the purity of a pure state related to its density matrix?

The purity of a pure state is related to its density matrix by the trace of the density matrix, which is equal to the purity. A pure state with a purity of 1 has a density matrix with a trace of 1, while a mixed state with a purity less than 1 has a density matrix with a trace less than 1.

5. Can the density matrix of a pure state change over time?

Yes, the density matrix of a pure state can change over time. This is because the evolution of a quantum system, described by the Schrödinger equation, can cause the state to change and therefore the corresponding density matrix to change as well. However, the properties of the density matrix for a pure state will remain the same over time.