Properties of a unitary matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the scattering matrix in quantum mechanics, denoted as S, and how it can be shown to be unitary. It is defined in terms of wave functions and their amplitudes, and it is important to note that letting p -> -p is equivalent to taking the complex conjugate. To show that S is unitary, it must also satisfy the condition of S* S = 1, which can be achieved through time-reversal symmetry. However, this may restrict the potential to be real. The definition of S(p) is not explicitly stated, but it is assumed to be related to the momenta. The conversation ends with a question about the amplitude depending on the difference between p
JHansen
TL;DR Summary
Want to show that ##S(-p) =S^\dagger (p)##.
So let's say that we have som unitary matrix, ##S##. Let that unitary matrix be the scattering matrix in quantum mechanics or the "S-matrix".

Now we all know that it can be defined in the following way:
$$\psi(x) = Ae^{ipx} + Be^{-ipx}, x<<0$$ and $$ \psi(x) = Ce^{ipx} + De^{-ipx}$$.
Now, A and D cmpts. are the ongoing waves and B & C the outgoing ones. So we can define the S-matrix by.

$$
\begin{pmatrix}
C\\
B
\end{pmatrix} =
\begin{pmatrix}
S_{11}& S_{12}\\
S_{21}& S_{22}
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
A\\
D
\end{pmatrix}
$$.

Now, of course, we can show that the matrix is unitary via the probability current density (or time-reversal symmetry I think?). Anyway,how would I actually show that ##S(-p) = S^\dagger (p)## ? hmmHere are my thoughts. We notice that letting p -> -p in the wave functions is the same thing as letting i-> -i, i.e. taking the complex conjugate. So what remains to show is that ##S^* = S^\dagger##, or that ##S^* S = 1## as well. And this can be achieved via time-reversal symmetry. But maybe this restricts our potential to be real?I would like something more rigorous to be more certain.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of S(p)?
I can see what is an operator depending on time. is it a field of operators on a vector space?

Likes JHansen
So I just think p is the momenta. Sorry but I don't have a rigorous definition so I don't really know. But I can prove it with my argument if I assume that A,B,C,D are all real which I'm not certain they are.

If the amplitude given by the scalar product <p1|S|p2> only depends on p2-p1 we can write it S(p2-p1). Is it the case here?

Last edited:

What is a unitary matrix?

A unitary matrix is a square matrix where the conjugate transpose of the matrix is equal to its inverse. This means that when multiplied by its conjugate transpose, the result is the identity matrix.

What are the properties of a unitary matrix?

Some properties of a unitary matrix include:

• The determinant of a unitary matrix is always either 1 or -1.
  • The columns and rows of a unitary matrix are orthonormal, meaning they are perpendicular to each other and have a magnitude of 1.
  • The eigenvalues of a unitary matrix have a magnitude of 1.
  • The product of two unitary matrices is also a unitary matrix.

How is a unitary matrix used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, unitary matrices are used to represent transformations of quantum states. These matrices help describe how a quantum system evolves over time, and are essential in understanding quantum computing and quantum algorithms.

What is the difference between a unitary matrix and an orthogonal matrix?

While both unitary and orthogonal matrices have columns and rows that are orthonormal, the main difference is that a unitary matrix also has complex numbers as its entries, while an orthogonal matrix only has real numbers. Additionally, the inverse of a unitary matrix is its conjugate transpose, while the inverse of an orthogonal matrix is its transpose.

How are unitary matrices related to the concept of symmetry?

Unitary matrices are closely related to the concept of symmetry in mathematics. In particular, they are used to represent rotations and reflections in higher dimensions. In quantum mechanics, unitary matrices are also used to describe symmetry operations in quantum systems.