Density of a liquid in a horizontal pipe

In summary, the problem involves finding the density of a liquid in a horizontal pipe before and after a constriction using the equation of continuity and Bernoulli's equation. The final solution is ρ = [2d24 (P2 - P1)] / [v12 (d24 - d14)].
Joe Cruz
1) Alright, so the problem reads, "The liquid in a horizontal pipe of diameter d1 before a constriction is at pressure P1 and flowing with the speed v1, and then in the constriction with diameter d2 the gauge measures pressure P2. What is the density of the liquid?"

2) I'm assuming the equations I'd need would be the equation of continuity, A1v1 = A2v2, and Bernoulli's equation.

3) So my first step was to figure out what v2 was by using the equation of continuity which gave me
v2 = v1d12 / d22

The second step was to set up Bernoulli's equation, P1 + ρv12/2 + ρgh = P2 + ρv22/2 + ρgh. Since the pipe is horizontal ρgh cancels out on both sides leaving P1 + ρv12/2 = P2 + ρv22/2. Then I began the process of isolating ρ.

ρ(v12/2 - v22/2) = P2 - P1

ρ = (P2 - P1) / (v12/2 - v22/2)

ρ = (P2 - P1) / [v12/2 - (v12d14)/ (2d24)]

ρ = (P2 - P1) / [(v12d24 - v12d14) / 2d24]

And finally I arrived at my final simplified solution;

ρ = [2d24 (P2 - P1)] / [v12 (d24 - d14)]

I'm not all that confident in my math for this particular problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated as an exam approaches and I want to make sure I have a good understanding of this particular type of problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right.

As d2<d1, both numerator and denominator will be negative. You can change that by swapping the sign in both of them, but it does not change the result.

Likes Joe Cruz

1. What is density?

Density is a measure of how much matter is packed into a given space. It is typically expressed in units of mass per unit volume, such as grams per cubic centimeter or kilograms per liter.

2. What is the formula for calculating density?

The formula for density is density = mass / volume. This means that to find the density of a substance, you need to know its mass and volume. Density can also be calculated by dividing the weight of a substance by its volume.

3. How is the density of a liquid in a horizontal pipe measured?

The density of a liquid in a horizontal pipe can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as a hydrometer or a densitometer. These instruments use the principles of buoyancy and displacement to determine the density of the liquid.

4. How does the density of a liquid in a horizontal pipe affect its flow?

The density of a liquid in a horizontal pipe can affect its flow in several ways. A higher density liquid will have a greater mass, which can lead to increased pressure and slower flow. It can also affect the overall viscosity and turbulence of the liquid, which can impact flow rates.

5. What factors can affect the density of a liquid in a horizontal pipe?

The density of a liquid in a horizontal pipe can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the composition of the liquid. Changes in these factors can lead to changes in the density of the liquid, which can in turn impact its flow in the pipe.