Density of air at one atmosphere pressure

In summary: It can be a bit heavy, but definitely worth it! Thanks for considering it! In summary, you would work out the average molar mass of the mixture, substitute that value into the density expression you got prior, and then compare the two results to see if they match.
Bolter
Homework Statement
Calculate the density of air
Relevant Equations
PV = nRT
How would I tackle a problem like this?

Screenshot 2019-12-22 at 22.23.55.png

I made a start by writing down the ideal gas equation and then done some manipulation on both sides to get the density expression of the ideal gas.
I'm not sure if this is what the question wants as I'm dealing with 2 different types of gases in the same atmosphere.
My density formula that I have obtained only applies to find the density of one type of gas?

IMG_3547.JPG

Also is there a typo in the question itself? Should it read "Determine the density of air at 25 degrees at one atmosphere pressure" instead of "Determine the density of air at 25 degrees and one atmosphere pressure"?

Any help would be grateful!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello again !

We recommend you learn some ##\LaTeX## to post formulas. It's compact, fairly easy:
$$ pv = nRT $$ becomes $$pV = nRT$$ and ## d = \frac {pM_m}{RT} ## becomes ##d = \frac {pM_m}{RT} ##

SInce ##M_m## (the molar mass) is different for each gas: yes, as written yuor expression works for single-composnent gases. For mixtures you need a mixing rule. FOr that you need to know whether the percentages given are by volume or by mass ...
A little googling establishes that the percentages are mol based, i.e. volume.
So the mixing rule is pretty straightforward, right ?

And you can always check the result with that same search engine...

Bolter said:
Also is there a typo in the question itself?
No typo: the text sums up the conditions, so the word 'and' is appropriate.

Likes berkeman
BvU said:
Hello again !

We recommend you learn some ##\LaTeX## to post formulas. It's compact, fairly easy:
$$ pv = nRT $$ becomes $$pV = nRT$$ and ## d = \frac {pM_m}{RT} ## becomes ##d = \frac {pM_m}{RT} ##

SInce ##M_m## (the molar mass) is different for each gas: yes, as written yuor expression works for single-composnent gases. For mixtures you need a mixing rule. FOr that you need to know whether the percentages given are by volume or by mass ...
A little googling establishes that the percentages are mol based, i.e. volume.
So the mixing rule is pretty straightforward, right ?

And you can always check the result with that same search engine...

No typo: the text sums up the conditions, so the word 'and' is appropriate.

Are you suggesting that I work out the average molar mass of the mixture? So to do that I take the sum of the mole fractions of each gas multiplied by the molar mass of that gas.
And from that, I substitute that average molar mass value into the density expression that I got prior.

IMG_3550.JPG

And thanks I will definitely have a look into the LaTex guide page so I can start using them on the threads

Likes Chestermiller
Seems a bit heavy to me ... :smile:

What is the density of air at one atmosphere pressure?

The density of air at one atmosphere pressure is approximately 1.225 kilograms per cubic meter. This value can vary slightly depending on temperature and humidity.

How is the density of air affected by changes in pressure?

The density of air is directly proportional to pressure. As pressure increases, the density increases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the ideal gas law, which states that density is equal to pressure divided by temperature and a constant called the gas constant.

What factors can affect the density of air at one atmosphere pressure?

Aside from pressure, temperature and humidity are the main factors that can affect the density of air at one atmosphere. As temperature increases, the molecules in the air move faster and take up more space, resulting in a decrease in density. Higher humidity can also decrease density as water vapor takes up space in the air.

Why is it important to know the density of air at one atmosphere pressure?

Knowing the density of air at one atmosphere pressure is important in various fields such as aviation, meteorology, and engineering. It is necessary for determining lift and drag forces in aircraft, predicting weather patterns, and designing structures and machines that can withstand air pressure changes.

How is the density of air at one atmosphere pressure measured?

The density of air at one atmosphere pressure can be measured using various instruments such as a barometer, hydrometer, or density meter. These instruments measure the pressure and temperature of the air and calculate the density using the ideal gas law.