What helium mass in a balloon to make it bouyant in air?

Lotto
Homework Statement
The balloon casing is made of an impermeable impervious substance with a surface density of ##\sigma##. If the casing is completely filled with helium, it is shaped like a sphere of radius ##r##. The empty casing is infused with a certain amount of helium.

Determine the helium mass interval for which the resulting force acts on the balloon upward (the pressure in the balloon may be greater than atmospheric).

The molar mass of helium is ##M_{He}##, the molar mass of air is ##M_a##, the atmospheric pressure is ##p_0## and the temperature is ##T##.
Relevant Equations
##pV=\frac mM RT##
##V=\frac 43 \pi r^3##
I suppose that the temperature is the same for the helium as well as for the air. So

##\frac 43 \pi r^3 \rho g >m_{He}g+4\pi r^2 \sigma g##.

I would determine the density of air from ##p_0 \mathrm d V=\frac{\rho \mathrm d V}{M_a}RT##.

So

##m_{He}<4\pi r^2\left(\frac{p_0M_a r}{3RT}-\sigma \right)##.

For the minimum mass ##m_0## it stands

##\frac 43 \pi r^3 p_0=\frac{m_0}{M_{He}} RT##,

because the pressure inside has to be bigger or the same as the atmospheric pressure, otherwise the balloon's volume is zero. So finally

##\frac{4p_0 \pi r^3 M_{He}}{3RT} \leq m_{He}<4\pi r^2\left(\frac{p_0M_a r}{3RT}-\sigma \right)##.

Is it correct? I am not sure about the temperature, because the assignment doesn't say what temperature it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pardon my ignorance…Are they asking how much helium is required so the balloon floats?

erobz said:
Pardon my ignorance…Are they asking how much helium is required so the balloon floats?
The question is what mass should the helium have so that the net force acting on it is oriented upward. So the buoyancy force can be greater that the gravity force of the balloon with the helium.

Likes erobz
Did you add partial pressures of helium and air in the mixture?

Last edited:
erobz said:
No, because I suppose that there is only helium inside of the balloon.

erobz said:
They say : "The empty casing is infused with a certain amount of helium."
So, it looks like there is only helium inside. Even though "empty" when it comes to gases may need clarification.

Likes erobz
So, is my solution correct or not?

Lotto said:
Homework Statement: The balloon casing is made of an impermeable impervious substance with a surface density of ##\sigma##. If the casing is completely filled with helium, it is shaped like a sphere of radius ##r##. The empty casing is infused with a certain amount of helium.

Determine the helium mass interval for which the resulting force acts on the balloon upward (the pressure in the balloon may be greater than atmospheric).

The molar mass of helium is ##M_{He}##, the molar mass of air is ##M_a##, the atmospheric pressure is ##p_0## and the temperature is ##T##.
Relevant Equations: ##pV=\frac mM RT##
##V=\frac 43 \pi r^3##

... the assignment doesn't say what temperature it is.
It does not?
... the temperature is ##T##.

Hill said:
It does not?
I meant that it does not say if it is a temperature of the helium or the air.

Lotto said:
I meant that it does not say if it is a temperature of the helium or the air.
I think you are to assume thermal equilibrium like you have.

Lotto said:
Homework Statement: The balloon casing is made of an impermeable impervious substance with a surface density of ##\sigma##. If the casing is completely filled with helium, it is shaped like a sphere of radius ##r##. The empty casing is infused with a certain amount of helium.

Relevant Equations: ##pV=\frac mM RT##
##V=\frac 43 \pi r^3##

I suppose that the temperature is the same for the helium as well as for the air. So

##\frac 43 \pi r^3 \rho g >m_{He}g+4\pi r^2 \sigma g##.
This seems fine. Where ##\rho## is the density of the air
Lotto said:
I would determine the density of air from ##p_0 \mathrm d V=\frac{\rho \mathrm d V}{M_a}RT##.
I'm not sure what you are doing with the ##dV##'s in this part? The density of the surrounding air is just given by the Ideal Gas Law:

$$ p_o = \frac{ n_{air} RT }{V} = \frac{ \rho_{air} RT }{M_{air}} $$

$$ \rho_{air} = \cdots $$

Lotto said:
So##m_{He}<4\pi r^2\left(\frac{p_0M_a r}{3RT}-\sigma \right)##.
This looks good.
Lotto said:
For the minimum mass ##m_0## it stands

##\frac 43 \pi r^3 p_0=\frac{m_0}{M_{He}} RT##,

because the pressure inside has to be bigger or the same as the atmospheric pressure, otherwise the balloon's volume is zero. So finally

##\frac{4p_0 \pi r^3 M_{He}}{3RT} \leq m_{He}<4\pi r^2\left(\frac{p_0M_a r}{3RT}-\sigma \right)##.

Is it correct? I am not sure about the temperature, because the assignment doesn't say what temperature it is.
Looks reasonable to me.

Likes Lotto
Uh oh...I got a skeptical...what has been missed @hutchphd?

I rescinded it, sorry. Past my thinking hour.

Likes erobz

1. What is the ideal mass of helium to make a balloon float?

The ideal mass of helium to make a balloon float depends on the size and weight of the balloon. Generally, a balloon needs to be filled with enough helium to make it slightly less dense than the surrounding air, allowing it to rise.

2. How much helium is needed to make a balloon float?

The amount of helium needed to make a balloon float also depends on the size and weight of the balloon. As a general rule, a balloon needs to be filled with about 4 grams of helium per liter of volume to achieve buoyancy.

3. Can the mass of helium in a balloon affect its buoyancy?

Yes, the mass of helium in a balloon can greatly affect its buoyancy. If there is too much helium, the balloon may rise too quickly and burst. If there is too little helium, the balloon may not have enough lift to float.

4. How does the temperature of the air affect the mass of helium needed in a balloon?

The temperature of the air can affect the mass of helium needed in a balloon. Warmer air is less dense, so a balloon will need more helium to achieve buoyancy. Colder air is more dense, so a balloon will need less helium to float.

5. Is there a specific ratio of helium mass to balloon size that guarantees buoyancy?

There is no specific ratio of helium mass to balloon size that guarantees buoyancy. The ideal ratio will depend on the specific conditions, such as the temperature and weight of the balloon. It is important to carefully calculate and adjust the amount of helium used to achieve the desired buoyancy.