Dependent source problem using KVL

In summary, the conversation revolved around trying to solve a problem using a simulator, where the values for I1, I2, I3, and the power of a dependent current source were given. One person asked for ideas on what could be wrong, and another person suggested using the super mesh technique when combining equations for mesh1 and mesh2 due to the shared current source.
Michael_0039
Homework Statement
Using KVL find the current through the resistors and Power of the dependent current source.
Relevant Equations
nil
Hi all,

I was trying to solve this but I'm stuck as you can see in my notes below:

New Doc 2019-10-13 16.55.53_1.jpg

New Doc 2019-10-13 16.55.53_2.jpg

Using simulator the I1=3.125 A | I2=-1,857 A | I3=4,375 A and Power of the dependent current source = -46.875 W

1570976039548.png

Any idea, what could be wrong ?Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In your loop 2 equation you're ignoring the voltage across the current source? So are you pretending it's zero volts?

Michael_0039 said:
Using simulator the I1=3.125 A | I2=-1,857 A | I3=4,375 A and Power of the dependent current source = -46.875 W

View attachment 251072

Any idea, what could be wrong ?Thanks.

Since mesh1 and mesh2 share a current source, you must use the super mesh technique, combining mesh1 and mesh2 for your second equation. Have you learned the super mesh technique?

Likes Michael_0039

1. What is a dependent source?

A dependent source is an electrical element that generates a voltage or current based on the voltage or current in another part of the circuit. It is dependent on the behavior of other components in the circuit.

2. How do you use KVL to solve dependent source problems?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) states that the sum of voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. To use KVL to solve dependent source problems, you must first identify the loop in which the dependent source is located. Then, write an equation using KVL for that loop, substituting the dependent source's voltage or current in terms of the other circuit variables.

3. What are some common types of dependent sources?

Some common types of dependent sources include voltage-controlled voltage sources, current-controlled voltage sources, voltage-controlled current sources, and current-controlled current sources. These sources are represented by symbols such as E, H, G, and F, respectively.

4. What are the limitations of using KVL to solve dependent source problems?

KVL can only be used to solve problems in circuits that are linear and contain only independent sources. It also assumes that the circuit is in steady state, meaning that voltages and currents do not change over time.

5. How can I check my solution to a dependent source problem using KVL?

To check your solution, you can use KCL (Kirchhoff's Current Law) to verify that the currents entering and leaving each node in the circuit are equal. You can also use Ohm's law to check if the calculated voltages and currents are consistent with the given circuit values.