1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derangements and Contour Integrals?

1. Mar 5, 2013 #1
    I did a proof a few days ago (for the sake of enjoyment) and my teacher thought it was interesting, though he seemed unsure of my result.

Consider a set of n distinct objects, P. If [itex]n \in \mathbb{Z}_+ \cup \left\{0\right\}[/itex], then the cardinality, q, of the set of all derangements of P is given by
    [itex]\displaystyle q = \frac{n!}{2\pi i}\oint_{\gamma}\Gamma(z)dz[/itex],​
    where [itex]z=a+bi[/itex] and [itex]\gamma[/itex] is given by the parametric equations [itex]a = (\frac{n}{2}+\frac{1}{\alpha})cos(t)-\frac{n}{2}[/itex] and [itex]b = (\frac{n}{2}+\frac{1}{\alpha})sin(t)[/itex] for some arbitrary [itex]\alpha > 1[/itex]. Note that the case of n=0 is almost by convention, much like 0!=1.

My proof used the transitive property of equality (the formula for derangements and for the sum of the residues of the gamma function are the same). Is there a more fundamental reason why they happen to be the same?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted