Can the contour integral of z⁷ be simplified using a parameterized expression?

In summary, the conversation discusses parameterizing ##z## by ##z(t) = 5i + (3 + i - 5i)t## with given initial and final values, and rewriting the contour integral in terms of ##t##. The integral is then simplified using the binomial theorem and binomial coefficients.
Mayhem
Homework Statement
Integrate ##\int_{\Gamma} z^7 dz## along the line ##5i## to ##3 + i##
Relevant Equations
##z = x + iy##
First I parameterize ##z## by ##z(t) = 5i + (3 + i - 5i)t## such that ##z(0) = 5i## and ##z(1) = 3 + i##, which means that ##0 \leq t \leq 0## traces the entire line on the complex plane. By distributing ##t##, we achieve a parameterized expression of the form ##z(t) = x(t) + iy(t)##
$$z(t) = 3t + i(5 - 4t)$$

Then to rewrite the contour integral in terms of ##t##, we determine ##dz/dt##
$$\frac{dz}{dt} = 3 - 4i$$
Yielding
$$\int_{\Gamma} z^7 dz = \int_{0}^{1} z^7 \frac{dz}{dt} dt = (3-4i)\int_{0}^{1} (3t + i(4-5t))^7 dt$$

Not sure where to go from here. The naive approach would be to expand the binominal and factor out all constants (including imaginary units ##i##), but that is tedious. Is there a trick? If this was a calc I problem, I'd just do a simple u-substitution, but not sure if the same logic holds when ##i## is involved.

Physics news on Phys.org
Observe that you can rewrite your integral,
$$
I=(3-4i)\int_0^{1} [(3-4i)t + 5i]^7dt
$$
$$
(3-4i)=5e^{-i\tan^{-1}(\frac{4}{3})}=5z_0
$$
Expand the integral with binomial thm,
$$
I=5^8z_0\int_0^{1} [(z_0t + i]^7dt=5^8z_0\sum_{n=0}^{7}\int_0^{1}\begin{pmatrix}
7\\
n
\end{pmatrix} z_0^{n}t^{n} (i)^{7-n}dt
$$

1. What is a contour integral?

A contour integral is a type of integral that is calculated along a specific path or contour in the complex plane. It is used to calculate the total change of a function along a specific curve or contour.

2. What is the formula for calculating a contour integral?

The formula for calculating a contour integral of a function f(z) along a contour C is given by:

C f(z) dz = ∫ab f(z(t)) z'(t) dt

where a and b are the starting and ending points of the contour, t is the parameterization of the contour, and z'(t) is the derivative of the parameterization.

3. How is a contour integral of z⁷ different from a regular integral?

A contour integral of z⁷ is different from a regular integral in that it is calculated along a specific path or contour in the complex plane, whereas a regular integral is calculated over a specific interval in the real plane. Additionally, the formula for calculating a contour integral is different from the formula for calculating a regular integral.

4. What is the significance of the number 7 in the contour integral of z⁷?

The number 7 in the contour integral of z⁷ represents the power of the variable z in the function being integrated. In general, the power of z in a contour integral can vary and is dependent on the function being integrated.

5. How is a contour integral of z⁷ used in science?

A contour integral of z⁷ is used in science to calculate the total change of a function along a specific path or contour in the complex plane. It is particularly useful in physics and engineering for calculating work done, electric fields, and other physical quantities. It is also used in mathematics for solving complex integrals and evaluating complex functions.