1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation for Time to Max Radioactivity Transient Equilibrium

1. Mar 20, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I'm having a bit of difficulty deriving the time to max activity for the case of transient equilibrium for a parent-daughter.

This is where I want to get to , tm = (1 / (λ1-λ2)) * 1n(λ1/λ2)

I believe there is an alternative equation for tm as well expressed in terms of half-life.

I would be gratefeul if someone could walk me through a derivation,

BW,
    Matt

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2013 #2
    Do you mean that you have some parent substance, with a given half-life time, which produces some daughter substance, with another given half-life time (which then decays into an inactive substance), and you need to find out the time it gets for the mix to attain maximum activity?

4. Mar 20, 2013 #3
    that's right. For the case of a Mo-99 and Tc-99m generator, at t=0, let the activity of Tc-99m be zero. The activity of Tc99m will increase until it reaches a maximum value, but will then start to decline as per transient equilibrium. I think using the bateman equations you can derive an expression for Tmax, the time it takes for the Tc-99m to reach it's max activity (which is ~ 24 hours). A derivation of that equation is what i'm after.

thanks,
    matt

5. Mar 20, 2013 #4
    Do you understand how the single-step decay equation is obtained and solved?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted