Desperate: Residual activity of daughter in decay

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of harvesting a radioactive daughter product from a radioactive parent at regular intervals of time. The goal is to show that the sum of residual activities of the daughter at time n\theta is equivalent to the amount that would have accumulated in the parent material if no separations were made. The conversation also mentions equations for A_{1}(t) and A_{2}(t) and the attempt to find an expression for A_{1}(t) using a sum from \theta to n\theta. However, it is noted that this exercise may not have any practical application in radioactive decay.
tramar

Homework Statement

Consider harvesting a radioactive daughter product from a radioactive parent at regular intervals of time, [tex]\theta[/tex]. If n samples of accumulated daughter product are removed at time [tex]\theta[/tex], 2[tex]\theta[/tex], ..., n[tex]\theta[/tex], show that the sum of their residual activities at time n[tex]\theta[/tex] is just that which would have accumulated in the parent material had no separations been made.

Homework Equations

[tex]A_{1}(t)=A_{10}e^{-\lambda_{1}t}[/tex]
[tex]A_{2}(t)=\frac{\lambda_{1A}}{\lambda_1}\frac{\lambda_{2}}{(\lambda_{2}-\lambda_{1})}A_{1}(t)(1-e^{-(\lambda_{2}-\lambda_{1})(t-t_{1})})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to take the equation for [tex]A_{2}(t)[/tex] given above and perform a sum from [tex]\theta[/tex] all the way to [tex]n\theta[/tex] for all of the residual activities. I tried to reduce that expression down so that it gave me [tex]A_{1}(t)[/tex] but it seems impossible for the following reasons:

1) You end up left with the factor [tex]\frac{\lambda_{1A}}{\lambda_1}\frac{\lambda_{2}}{(\lambda_{2}-\lambda_{1})}[/tex] on the left side and it is not on the right side.
2) The equation for [tex]A_{1}(t)[/tex] has no [tex]\lambda_{2}[/tex], so I don't see how it can possibly equal any residual activity of the daughter.

This leads me to believe that I've interpreted the problem statement incorrectly...
If anyone can give me some insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The quantity of the daughter at time t is [tex] A_1(0) \frac {\lambda_1 } { \lambda_2 - \lambda_1} (e^{- \lambda_1 t} - e^{- \lambda_2 t}) [/tex]

I don't see how you get that expression for A_2(t). What is the amount of the parent left at the time of removing batch k?. What is the amount of daughter in batch k at the time of its removal? The amount of daughter left in batch k after time [itex] n \theta [/itex]

It seems all a rather pointless exercise, since it doesn't matter at all for radioactive decay if you separate the atoms in batches.

Related to Desperate: Residual activity of daughter in decay

1. What is "desperate" in the context of residual activity of daughter in decay?

"Desperate" refers to the state of a radioactive nucleus that has undergone decay and is left with a daughter nucleus that is also radioactive. The term is used to describe the unstable nature of the daughter nucleus and its tendency to continue decaying in order to reach a more stable state.

2. How is residual activity of daughter in decay measured?

The residual activity of daughter in decay is measured by the number of radioactive decays occurring per unit time. This is typically measured in units of becquerels (Bq) or curies (Ci) depending on the system of units used.

3. What factors affect the residual activity of daughter in decay?

The residual activity of daughter in decay is affected by the half-life of the parent nucleus, the half-life of the daughter nucleus, and the branching ratio of the decay process. Other factors such as temperature and external radiation can also influence the residual activity.

4. How does residual activity of daughter in decay impact the stability of a radioactive material?

The residual activity of daughter in decay can contribute to the overall instability of a radioactive material. The continuous decay of the daughter nucleus can lead to the release of additional radiation, which can be harmful to living organisms and impact the stability of the material itself.

5. What are some potential uses of understanding the concept of residual activity of daughter in decay?

Understanding the concept of residual activity of daughter in decay is important in fields such as nuclear energy, environmental monitoring, and medical imaging. It allows scientists to accurately measure and predict the behavior of radioactive materials and their potential impact on human health and the environment.