Derivation from the 0th Law of Thermodynamics

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
PhiJ
Messages
44
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I really don't know if I'm in the right subforum...
I've started reading this text on statistical mechanics from MIT, but I'm stuck on page 2. Here's the statement:

Let the equilibrium state of systems A, B, and C be described by the coordinates
{A1, A2,· · ·}, {B1, B2,· · ·}, and {C1, C2,· · ·} respectively. The assumption that A and C are in equilibrium implies a constraint between the coordinates of A and C, i.e. a change in A1 must be accompanied by some changes in {A2,···;C1, C2,···} to maintain equilibrium of A and C. Denote this constraint by

fAC(A1, A2,···;C1, C2,···) = 0. (I.1)

The equilibrium of B and C implies a similar constraint
fBC(B1, B2,···;C1, C2,···) = 0. (I.2)

Each of the above equations can be solved for
C1 to yield
C1 = FAC(A1, A2,···; C2,···) (I.3a)
C1 = FBC(B1, B2,···; C2,···) (I.3b)​

Thus if C is separately in equilibrium with A and B we must have
FAC(A1, A2,···; C2,···) = FBC(B1, B2,···; C2,···) (I.4)

However, according to the zeroth law there is also equilibrium between A and B, implying
the constraint
fAB(A1, A2,···;B1, B2,···) = 0. (I.5)
Therefore it must be possible to simplify eq.(I.4) by cancelling the coordinates of C.​

Homework Equations


(I.1) through (I.5) above.

The Attempt at a Solution



I understand up to I.2. For I.3 I'm going to assume there is a unique solution - I'm sure the solution isn't always unique, but it means their argument is correct and I don't have to play mind twister to agree. So given that assumption I'm happy with I.3. I.4 is then obviously true, and I.5 is obviously true by the zeroth law.

I suppose 'cancel the Cs' means substitute some constants into the values for CX, so define:

FA(A1, A2,···) = FAC(A1, A2,···; c2,···)
FB(B1, B2,···) = FBC(B1, B2,···; c2,···)
where cx is a constant.

But then:

FA(A1, A2,···) - FB(B1, B2,···) = 0

And we can define fAB = FA - FB

i.e. we already have a constraint in terms of A and B. Therefore the zeroth law is not a foundational assumption, it's something you can prove. I'm sure I'm wrong on that count, but I can't see why. I realized I've made an assumption to accept I.3, but is I.3 wrong? It's stated in the text.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
PhiJ said:
FA(A1, A2,···) - FB(B1, B2,···) = 0

And we can define fAB = FA - FB

i.e. we already have a constraint in terms of A and B. Therefore the zeroth law is not a foundational assumption, it's something you can prove.
You arrived at that equation because you could cancel out the coordinates of C, which was possible by invoking the 0th law. Proving the 0th law using this would be circular reasoning.
 
I think I 'cancelled out' the coordinates of C without using the zeroth law.

Substituting constants into the equation is standard mathematical practise. That gives me:

FAC(A1, A2,···; c2,···) = FBC(B1, B2,···; c2,···)

Then I defined two functions:
PhiJ said:
FA(A1, A2,···) = FAC(A1, A2,···; c2,···)
FB(B1, B2,···) = FBC(B1, B2,···; c2,···)
where cx is a constant.

then substituted those defined functions in:

FA(A1, A2,···) = FB(B1, B2,···)

Then subtracted:

FA(A1, A2,···) - FB(B1, B2,···) = 0

Then defined again fAB = FA - FB

And I'm done. Those steps require the normal rules for functions and arithmetic, and that there is a solution to fAC and fBC. The existence of a solution is implied by the question: if A and C are in equilibrium, then there is a constraint between A and C, but the implication is that this is a constraint with a solution. If A and C are in equilibrium, and B and C are also in equilibrium, then there are two constraints, and the implication is that there is a solution that fits both constraints.

I suppose without the zeroth law, we'd still have the constraint, but it wouldn't be a constraint that defines a thermal equilibrium between A and B?
 
PhiJ said:
Then I defined two functions:
PhiJ said:
FA(A1, A2,···) = FAC(A1, A2,···; c2,···)
FB(B1, B2,···) = FBC(B1, B2,···; c2,···)
where cx is a constant.
I think that the crux is that this should work for any cx, not a particular one.
 
DrClaude said:
I think that the crux is that this should work for any cx, not a particular one.

Of course! FA - FB has to have the same trace, whichever c you pick, or your constraint is only true under certain conditions. I think I was getting confused by the concept of cancelling variables within an arbitrary function, because it's obvious in hindsight.

Thanks for the help.