Derivation of complex refractive index

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of equations involving the Helmholtz equation and how to obtain the relations n^{2} and \kappa^{2}. The solution involves substituting n=n+ik into n^{2} and solving the quadratic equation.
OneMoreName
Hi,

Got a problem with the following derivation:

Coming from the Helmholtz equation one gets:

[itex]\textbf{n}^2[/itex]=[itex]\mu[/itex][itex]c^{2}[/itex]([itex]\epsilon[/itex]+i[itex]\frac{\sigma}{\omega}[/itex])

which is of course something like:

[itex]\textbf{n}[/itex]=n+i[itex]\kappa[/itex]

My question is, how do you obtain the following relations?

[itex]n^{2}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]\mu[/itex][itex]c^{2}[/itex][itex]\epsilon[/itex]([itex]\sqrt{1+(\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon\omega})^{2}}[/itex]+1)
[itex]\kappa^{2}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]\mu[/itex][itex]c^{2}[/itex][itex]\epsilon[/itex]([itex]\sqrt{1+(\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon\omega})^{2}}[/itex]-1)

Maybe it's obvious, but I am arriving at everything but this. Enlighten me guys and thanks if you do.

Science news on Phys.org
[tex]n[/tex]=n+ik, put into [tex]n^2[/tex] and you will have two eqn ,one equating the real part and other equating the imaginary part which you can solve to get.if that is what you are asking.

That's right, but the problem is you cannot separate n or κ out. For example you get something like

[itex]n^{2}[/itex]([itex]n^{2}[/itex]-[itex]\mu[/itex][itex]c^{2}[/itex][itex]\epsilon[/itex])=([itex]\frac{μc^{2}σ}{2ω})^{2}[/itex]

and I don't see how to get to n2.

Oh, OK, just have to solve the quadratic equation after substitution and one gets to the results, duh! Thanks!

Last edited:

1. What is the complex refractive index?

The complex refractive index is a measure of how much a material bends light as it passes through it. It is a complex number that consists of a real part, which represents the refractive index, and an imaginary part, which represents the absorption coefficient.

2. Why is the complex refractive index important?

The complex refractive index is important because it provides information about a material's optical properties, such as its ability to transmit or reflect light. It is also used in calculations for designing and optimizing optical systems.

3. How is the complex refractive index measured?

The complex refractive index can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as ellipsometry, interferometry, or spectrophotometry. These methods involve measuring the intensity and/or phase of light as it passes through or reflects off the material.

4. What factors can affect the complex refractive index of a material?

The complex refractive index of a material can be affected by many factors, including temperature, pressure, composition, and structure. External factors, such as light intensity and wavelength, can also affect the complex refractive index of a material.

5. How is the complex refractive index used in practical applications?

The complex refractive index is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the design and manufacture of lenses, prisms, and other optical components. It is also used in the development of new materials for applications in optics, electronics, and other fields.