Derivation of Energy Equation in Cylindrical Coordinates

In summary, Chris is trying to find a source for the derivation of the energy equation in cylindrical coordinates, but he is not having luck. He has found that every thermodynamic, thermofluid book he has looked through has the cartesian derivation, but when he looks at the problem sets at the end of the chapter, he finds that the publishers have thrown in the cylindrical derivation as an appendix. He has found a source for the derivation of the energy equation in spherical coordinates, but he would like to know how to derive it by term by term.
clmohn
So, I have searched the globe to find the derivation of the conservation of energy equation in 3D cylindrical coordinates. I have looked in about every heat transfer, thermodynamic, thermofluid books in the library. I have spent about 4 hours on the internet trying to find something, but no luck.
It seems like EVERY textbook I have looked through has the cartesian derivation and when I look at the problem sets at the end of the chapter what do I see? "Derive the control volume three dimensional energy equation in cylindrical coordinates." It's as if the publisher refused to print the cylindrical derivation. They just threw the end result in cylindrical coordinated in the appendix and call it a day.
I know it is a very lengthy and relatively complex derivation, but come on.

My question is, does anyone have a source for the derivation of the energy equation in cylindrical coordinates? I would truly appreciate it if you could link one.
Thank you for your time and reading my frustrations. =)

Chris

Engineering news on Phys.org
Finite elemet

Thanks,
But, I am more looking for a finite element differential of the energy equation in cylindrical coordinates...

The free body is set up like a differential slice of pie (3d) with energy flux and work flux in and out of the control volume.

Thanks,
chris

Let's call (r,t,z) the cylindrical coordinates and d their witdh on and element.
Let's call (R,T,Z) the heat (energy) flux for these directions (in W/m²).
Let's cal Q the source of heat in the volume.

By simple geometric inspection, the net balance of heat flowing along the radial surfaces is:

br = R(r+dr,,) (r+dr) dt dz - R(r,,) r dt dz

You can get similar expressions for the other directions.
For the total heat balance you get then:

br + bt + bz = Q dr rdt dz

where the rhs is the total source in the volume element.

Hi to Everyone.

I need also "derivation of energy equation in spherical coordinates" but i also could'nt find anything. Is there any information about this by explaining how to derive the equation by term by term?

The fundamental equation is the same. The main difference is the Laplacian operator. Look for derivations on that, because the only difference is 1/r or sin(theta) terms. Those come from simple trig relations to find distances.

So, just follow along with the cartesian derivation, but keep a sketch of a cylindrical/spherical element. When you need to find an area, instead of delx*dely, you'll have something else.

Thank you very much for your help.

1. What is the energy equation in cylindrical coordinates?

The energy equation in cylindrical coordinates is a mathematical representation of the conservation of energy in a system, taking into account the effects of heat transfer, work, and energy storage. It is commonly used in fluid mechanics and thermodynamics to analyze energy flow and transformations in cylindrical systems.

2. How is the energy equation derived in cylindrical coordinates?

The energy equation is derived by applying the first law of thermodynamics to a cylindrical control volume. This involves considering the rate of change of energy within the control volume, as well as the net energy transfer through its boundaries due to heat and work. The resulting equation is then simplified and expressed in terms of the relevant variables, such as temperature, pressure, and velocity.

3. What are the assumptions made in the derivation of the energy equation in cylindrical coordinates?

Some common assumptions made in the derivation include steady-state conditions, negligible changes in kinetic and potential energy, and a constant specific heat ratio. Additionally, it is often assumed that the system is axisymmetric, meaning that its properties do not vary with the azimuthal coordinate.

4. Can the energy equation be used for non-ideal systems?

Yes, the energy equation in cylindrical coordinates can be used for both ideal and non-ideal systems. However, in non-ideal systems, additional terms may need to be included in the equation to account for factors such as viscous dissipation and non-uniformities in temperature or pressure.

5. How is the energy equation used in practical applications?

The energy equation is a fundamental tool in the analysis and design of various engineering systems, such as heat exchangers, turbines, and compressors. It can also be used to study the performance of internal combustion engines, refrigeration systems, and other thermodynamic processes. By solving the energy equation, engineers can predict the behavior of a system and optimize its design for maximum efficiency.