How to obtain the determinant of the Curl in cylindrical coordinates?

In summary: The general form of curl in cylindrical coordinates is the result of this application, which gives the determinant.
SebastianRM
TL;DR Summary
Hey guys, I wrote my determinant for directions r, ##\theta##, z. For vectors of the same cylindrical space. So, I proceed to calculate the determinant, but its form is far different from what shown online. How can I derive the proper way.
I have a vector in cylindrical Coordinates:
$$\vec{V} = \left < 0 ,V_{\theta},0 \right> $$
where ##V_\theta = V(r,t)##.

The Del operator in ##\{r,\theta,z\}$ is: $\vec{\nabla} = \left< \frac{\partial}{\partial r}, \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}, \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \right>##

I tried to obtain the curl as follows:
$$\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{V} = \begin{vmatrix} \hat{r}\ & \hat{\theta} & \hat{z} \\ \partial/\partial r & (1/r)\partial/\partial \theta & \partial/\partial z \\ 0 & V_{\theta} & 0 \end{vmatrix} = \left< -\partial V_{\theta}/\partial z, 0 , \partial V_\theta/\partial r \right> = \frac{\partial V_\theta}{\partial r} \hat{z} $$

However i have seen very different determinants for the curl, and I am not sure why my approach is incorrect. How can I derive the proper determinant?

Your time and answers are very appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
SebastianRM said:
Summary:: Hey guys, I wrote my determinant for directions r, ##\theta##, z. For vectors of the same cylindrical space. So, I proceed to calculate the determinant, but its form is far different from what shown online. How can I derive the proper way.

I have a vector in cylindrical Coordinates:
$$\vec{V} = \left < 0 ,V_{\theta},0 \right> $$
where ##V_\theta = V(r,t)##.

The Del operator in ##\{r,\theta,z\}$ is: $\vec{\nabla} = \left< \frac{\partial}{\partial r}, \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}, \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \right>##

I tried to obtain the curl as follows:
$$\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{V} = \begin{vmatrix} \hat{r}\ & \hat{\theta} & \hat{z} \\ \partial/\partial r & (1/r)\partial/\partial \theta & \partial/\partial z \\ 0 & V_{\theta} & 0 \end{vmatrix} = \left< -\partial V_{\theta}/\partial z, 0 , \partial V_\theta/\partial r \right> = \frac{\partial V_\theta}{\partial r} \hat{z} $$

The resultant vector would be:
$$<

However i have seen very different determinants for the curl, and I am not sure why my approach is incorrect. How can I derive the proper determinant?

Your time and answers are very appreciated.
The general formula for cylindrical coordinate is as follows:
$$\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{V} = \frac{1}{r}\begin{vmatrix} \hat{r}\ & r\hat{\theta} & \hat{z} \\ \partial/\partial r & \partial/\partial \theta & \partial/\partial z \\ V_{r} & V_{\theta} & V_{z} \end{vmatrix} $$
Because ##V_r## and ##V_z## are zero, the resultant vector would be:
$$\frac{1}{r} < -\frac{\partial (rV_{\theta})}{\partial z}\hat r ,0,\frac{\partial (rV_{\theta})}{\partial r} \hat z >$$

• Informative
Likes SebastianRM
I was trying to derive the determinant itself, I know that is the correct form. I was using the definition of a cross product to do the curl; however, the curl is not really a cross product of vectors in an orthonormal basis.

Likes Tony Hau
SebastianRM said:
I was trying to derive the determinant itself, I know that is the correct form. I was using the definition of a cross product to do the curl; however, the curl is not really a cross product of vectors in an orthonormal basis.
The del operator is not a vector that crosses with vectors, although it resembles the property of vectors. I am sorry I am not an expert who can explain clearly to you about it, but here is a derive of the curl in other coordinates:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del_in_cylindrical_and_spherical_coordinates

The definition of curl is: $$\nabla \times \vec A = \lim_{dS \rightarrow 0}\frac{\int \vec A \cdot dl}{\iint dS}$$, which is shrinking the path integral of ##\vec A## over a path ##dl## enclosing an infinitely small area ##dS##

I suppose you need to apply the Jacobian to transform the ##dl## element from Cartesian coordinate to other coordinates in deriving the curl for other coordinates.

• Informative
Likes SebastianRM

1. What is the formula for calculating the determinant of the Curl in cylindrical coordinates?

The formula for calculating the determinant of the Curl in cylindrical coordinates is:
∆ = (1/r) ∂(rAφ)/∂r + (1/r) ∂Az/∂φ + ∂Ar/∂z

2. How do you determine the direction of the Curl in cylindrical coordinates?

The direction of the Curl in cylindrical coordinates can be determined by using the right-hand rule.
If the thumb of your right hand points in the direction of the z-axis, and your fingers curl in the direction of increasing φ, then the direction of the Curl will be in the direction that your palm faces.

3. Can the determinant of the Curl in cylindrical coordinates be negative?

Yes, the determinant of the Curl in cylindrical coordinates can be negative. This indicates that the vector field is rotating in the opposite direction of the direction determined by the right-hand rule.

4. How is the determinant of the Curl related to the divergence of a vector field in cylindrical coordinates?

In cylindrical coordinates, the determinant of the Curl is equal to the negative of the divergence of the vector field. This relationship is known as the Helmholtz decomposition theorem.

5. What is the physical significance of the determinant of the Curl in cylindrical coordinates?

The determinant of the Curl in cylindrical coordinates represents the amount of rotation or circulation of a vector field in a given region. It is an important quantity in fluid dynamics and electromagnetism, as it helps to describe the behavior of fluids and electromagnetic fields in cylindrical systems.