1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recast a given vector field F in cylindrical coordinates

1. Feb 26, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    F(x,y,z) = xzi

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I just said that x = rcos(θ) so F(r,θ,z) = rcos(θ)z. Is this correct? Beaucse I am also asked to find curl of F in Cartesian coordinates and compare to curl of F in cylindrical coordinates. For Curl of F in cylindrical coordinates I obtained rcos(θ)eθ+sin(θ)zez. This doesn't look anything like the curl found in Cartesian coordinates. Where am i going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

The unit vector ## \hat{i} ## also needs to be put in cylindrical coordinates. ## \hat{i}=cos(\theta) \hat{a}_r -sin(\theta) \hat{a}_{\theta} ## if I computed it correctly. Once you do that, you should get agreement when you do the curl operation in cylindrical coordinates. ## \\ ## Editing: Yes, I computed it, and got agreement. I'd be happy to check the answer for you that you get.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  4. Feb 26, 2017 #3
    Hello! Sorry I just saw this reply. As an answer, I got (rcos(θ)sin(θ)er +rcos2(θ)eθ +(2cos(θ)sin(θ)z+ 2sin(θ)cos(θ)z)ez

Is this answer correct?

Edit- Yes! I figured out my mistake and I got an equivalent answer. Thank you for the help Charles

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  5. Feb 27, 2017 #4

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Please check your ## e_z ## term. The first term gets a minus sign so that the ## e_z ## term is zero. Also what did you get in Cartesian coordinates for the curl? The two should agree and I think they do if the ## e_z ## term is zero.

6. Feb 27, 2017 #5
    I don't have my homework with me, but I forgot to edit my post with the answer I got. The ez terms canceled

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted