1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of Laplace in spherical co-ordinates

1. Feb 13, 2014 #1
    I have been trying to derive the Laplace in spherical co ordinates.
    I have attached a file which has basic equations.
    I am trying to get the following equation.

d(phi)/dx= -sin(phi)/(r sin (theta)).

I have also attached the materials I am referring to.
    Can someone please help me derive the equation.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2014 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

This is a pretty cumbersome way. The most easy is to use the action principle. The action
    [tex]A[\phi]=\int \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} [(\vec{\nabla} \phi)^2+f \phi][/tex]
    leads to the equation
    [tex]\Delta \phi=f.[/tex]
    Now you write the gradient in terms of spherical coordinates (which is easy to derive by your direct method)
    [tex]\vec{\nabla} \phi=\vec{e}_r \partial_r \phi+\frac{1}{r} \vec{e}_{\theta} \partial_{\theta} \phi + \frac{1}{r \sin \theta} \vec{e}_{\varphi} \partial_{\varphi} \phi.[/tex]
    The volume element is
    [tex]\mathrm{d}^3 {\vec{r}}=\mathrm{d} r \mathrm{d} \theta \mathrm{d} \varphi r^2 \sin \theta.[/tex]
    This you plug into the action integral and use the Euler-Lagrange equations to derive the field equation in terms of spherical coordinates. This leads to the Laplacian by identifying it with [itex]f[/tex].

4. Feb 14, 2014 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Show us your attempt at deriving that equation.

5. Feb 14, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I second Vela. Vanhees is focusing on ##\Delta##. If you want a hint for your ## {d\phi \over dx} ## question: ##\tan \phi = {y \over x} ## is a good starting point.

6. Feb 14, 2014 #5
    Thank you for your reply vanhees71. But I am not sure how you even got the equation.

A[ϕ]=∫d3x→[(∇→ϕ)2+fϕ]

I am a beginner trying to learn this derivation.

Thank you BvU, your idea helped.

Thank you all.

7. Feb 14, 2014 #6
    Your attached references are just a straightforward transformation of coordinates that you learn how to do in a course on partial differential equations. Have you had a course that covers partial differential equations yet?

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted