1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of Sudarshan-Glauber P function

1. Jun 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It is not a problem, But I am doing a coursework on Quantum Optics on my own. The following derivation is for P-function in Quantum optics from the book Quantum Optics by Marlan O.Scully and M. Suhail Zubairy. I attached the Image of the derivation with this Question.

2. Relevant equations
    Relevant Equations are given in the Image

3. The attempt at a solution
    I expanded the trace in the (3.1.11) in |α> basis. But I am unable to get (3.1.13).

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2016 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They are just saying that (by definition),

$$ \int d^2 \alpha ~~\delta(a- \alpha) \delta(a^\dagger - \alpha^*) f(\alpha) f(\alpha^*) = f(a) f(a^\dagger) $$

4. Jun 4, 2016 #3
    Yeah I absolutely understand that, but I don't know how to expand f(a)f(a†). Can you help me with this?

5. Jun 4, 2016 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah, but then 3.1.13 follows directly from 3.1.11 with the choice ## f(a) = a^m## and ## f(a^\dagger) = (a^\dagger)^n##. That's all there is to it. I am not sure what the question is, then.

6. Jun 5, 2016 #5
    Oh yes, I confused myself a bit. Now I got. Its pretty straightforward. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted