Derivation Of The Faraday Two-Form

In summary, the Faraday two form is a two form on pairs of four dimensional vectors (3 space +1 time). It is given by:F=E_x dx\wedge dt + E_y dy\wedge dt + E_z dz\wedge dt + B_z dx\wedge dy + B_x dy\wedge dz + B_y dz\wedge dx.Most books then go on to say that for any closed manifold in four space \partial \sigma(may I be forgiven for the notation):\int_{\partial \sigma} F=0\Or equivilently,dF=0Thus far, I have been unable
ObsessiveMathsFreak
The Faraday two form is a two form on pairs of four dimensional vectors (3 space +1 time). It is given by(may I be forgiven for the notation):

[tex]F = E_x dx\wedge dt + E_y dy\wedge dt + E_z dz\wedge dt + B_z dx\wedge dy + B_x dy\wedge dz + B_y dz\wedge dx[/tex]

Most books then go on to say that for any closed manifold in four space [tex]\partial \sigma[/tex](may I be forgiven for the notation):

[tex]\int_{\partial \sigma} F = 0[/tex]
Or equivilently
[tex]dF = 0[/tex]

Thus far, I have been unable to find either a derivation of the quantity, or instead, a proof that the form is closed. I'm actually seriously doubting the latter, but I digress.

Does anyone know of any good treatments of the topic?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to start with the fact that F is exact:
[tex]
\underrightarrow{\underrightarrow{F}}
= \underrightarrow{d} \underrightarrow{A}
= \underrightarrow{dx^i} \underrightarrow{dx^j} \partial_i A_j
[/tex]
Then it's closed,
[tex]
0 = \underrightarrow{d} \underrightarrow{F}
= \underrightarrow{d} \underrightarrow{d} \underrightarrow{A}
= \underrightarrow{dx^k} \underrightarrow{dx^i} \underrightarrow{dx^j} \partial_k \partial_i A_j
[/tex]
because the basis 1-forms anticommute and the corresponding partial derivatives commute:
[tex]
\underrightarrow{d} \underrightarrow{d} = 0
[/tex]

If you insist on starting with E and B as fundamental, instead of A, then you have to impose
[tex]
\underrightarrow{d} \underrightarrow{F} = 0
[/tex]
as some of Maxwell's equations. Then you can get that F is exact over most (but not all!) manifolds, F=dA.

Last edited:
What's [tex]A[/tex]? The magnetic potential?

ObsessiveMathsFreak said:

I believe so. Since you're integrating F over it, the submanifold [itex]\partial \sigma[/itex] needs to be a surface in (3,1)-space. The result you are quoting seems to be assuming that this submanifold is the boundary of a 3-diml. submanifold of the ambient space, i.e. [itex]\sigma[/itex]. The result then is an application of Stokes' Theorem: The integral of F on the boundary of \sigma is equal to the integral of dF (=0) on \sigma.

Actually, I just looked this up in Ward and Wells' Twistor Geometry and Field Theory, and discovered that dF=0 is just a nifty way of writing the Maxwell Equations.

Last edited:
ObsessiveMathsFreak said:

Electromagnetic potential -- it's a 1-form, with four components. The time component is the electric potential, and the spatial components are the magnetic potential.

Right that makes sense. Electro dynamic potential fields:

[tex]\mathbf{B} = \nabla \times \mathbf{A}[/tex]
[tex]\mathbf{E} = -\nabla \phi - \partial_t \mathbf{A}[/tex]

Define the one form:

[tex]\acute{A} = A_x d\acute{x} + A_y d\acute{y} + A_z d\acute{z} - \phi d\acute{t}[/tex]

[tex]d \equiv \acute{\nabla} = \partial_x d\acute{x} + \partial_y d\acute{y} + \partial_z d\acute{z} + \partial_t d\acute{t}[/tex]

Then
[tex] \acute{F} = d\acute{A} = \acute{\nabla}\wedge \acute{A}[/tex]
Which comes out to be
[tex]\begin{multline*}
\acute{F} = (-\partial_x \phi -\partial_t A_x )d\acute{x} \wedge d\acute{t} + (-\partial_y \phi -\partial_t A_y )d\acute{y} \wedge d\acute{t} + (-\partial_z \phi -\partial_t A_z )d\acute{z} \wedge d\acute{t} \\
+ (\partial_y A_z -\partial_z A_y )d\acute{y} \wedge d\acute{z} + (\partial_z A_x -\partial_x A_z )d\acute{z} \wedge d\acute{x} + (\partial_x A_y -\partial_y A_x )d\acute{x} \wedge d\acute{y}
\end{multline*}[/tex]

Which is simply
[tex]\begin{multline*}
\acute{F} = E_x d\acute{x} \wedge d\acute{t} + E_y d\acute{y} \wedge d\acute{t} + E_z d\acute{z} \wedge d\acute{t} \\
+ B_x d\acute{y} \wedge d\acute{z} + B_y d\acute{z} \wedge d\acute{x} + B_z d\acute{x} \wedge d\acute{y}
\end{multline*}[/tex]

That makes things clearer, and at least the Faraday doesn't have to be very awkwardly inferred from handwaving about Faraday's Law. I was having serious doubts about its validity in the case of allowing the spatial loops to vary in size or position, but I suppose as long as the potentials remain valid, so will the Faraday. I suppose the one form [tex]\acute{A}[/tex] when integrated represents some kind of 4-d potential difference between two points in space and time. Dimensional analysis time.

Last edited:

What is the Faraday Two-Form?

The Faraday Two-Form, also known as the electromagnetic field strength tensor, is a mathematical representation of the electromagnetic field. It describes the strength and direction of the electric and magnetic fields at any given point in space and time.

Who developed the Faraday Two-Form?

The Faraday Two-Form was developed by the British scientist Michael Faraday in the 19th century. He is known for his groundbreaking work in electromagnetism and is credited with discovering the principles of electromagnetic induction.

What is the significance of the Faraday Two-Form?

The Faraday Two-Form is significant because it provides a concise and elegant way of representing the complex electromagnetic field. It allows for the easy calculation of the electromagnetic force and provides a foundation for understanding many phenomena in physics, such as electricity, magnetism, and light.

How is the Faraday Two-Form derived?

The Faraday Two-Form is derived from the Maxwell's equations, which are a set of fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. By combining these equations and using vector calculus, the Faraday Two-Form can be derived.

What are the applications of the Faraday Two-Form?

The Faraday Two-Form has numerous applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and technology. It is essential in the design and development of electrical and electronic devices, such as motors, generators, and antennas. It also plays a crucial role in the study of electromagnetic waves and their propagation.