Relating integration of forms to Riemann integration

In summary, the conversation discusses partitioning closed intervals in the Cartesian product and using this to define a hyperrectangle for integration purposes. The relationship between the notation ##\int_A f\,dx^1\wedge\,dx^2## and ##\int_A f(x)\,dx^1\,dx^2## is explored, with the conclusion that they may not be exactly equivalent due to differences in order.
Eclair_de_XII
TL;DR Summary
Let ##A:=[a_1,b_1]\times\cdots\times[a_n,b_n]##. Let ##f:A\rightarrow\mathbb{R}##. Let ##g_i:[a_i,b_i]\rightarrow \mathbb{R}##. Assume that ##g_i## defined as ##g_i(x)=f(c_1,\ldots,c_{i-1},x,\ldots,c_n)## is integrable on its domain. Then we can define integration of ##f## as such:
Partition each closed interval ##[a_i,b_i]## in the Cartesian product, ##A##.
Denote the partition for the i-th closed interval as ##\{x_i^1,\ldots,x_i^{k_i}\}##.
The Cartesian product of the partitions forms a partition of ##A## (think: a lattice of points that coincide with the points of each partition).
Let ##a_0## be a point in the partition.
Let ##a'## be the point in the partition s.t.:
1. Each component of ##a'## is greater than that of ##a_0##.
2. The distance from ##a'## and ##a_0## is the infimum of the set of distances from ##a_0## to another point in the partition whose components exceed those of ##a_0##
The vectors ##a_0## and ##a'## define hyper-rectangle that constitutes the volume element of the volume to be estimated.
Evaluate ##f## at some point ##x_0## in this hyper-rectangle in order to get a proper weight for this region of the domain.
In order to get the volume of that hyper-rectangle, we evaluate the volume element ##dx^1\wedge\ldots\wedge dx^n## at ##(a'-a_0,a'-a_0,\ldots,a'-a_0)##.
This process yields a number ##f(x_0) dx^1\wedge\ldots\wedge dx^n(a'-a_0,\ldots,a'-a_0)## where the latter term is the "volume" of the element of the partition on which ##f## is to be evaluated.

Anyway, I was trying to relate integration of forms to Riemann integration earlier. I was confused by the relationship between the notation ##\int_A f\,dx^1\wedge\,dx^2## and ##\int_A f(x)\,dx^1\,dx^2##, and then I tried to come up with my own explanation for why these two are equivalent, using my rather rusty knowledge of Riemann integration.

Forgive me if this is poorly-explained.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I am missing something. I'm struggling to understand this. Is this your wording or is this how a reference defines it? If it is a reference, please give it.
Eclair_de_XII said:
This process yields a number ##f(x_0) dx^1\wedge\ldots\wedge dx^n(a'-a_0,\ldots,a'-a_0)## where the latter term is the "volume" of the element of the partition on which ##f## is to be evaluated.
Is this a "number" or a vector? I am guessing that ##(a'-a_0, a'-a_0, ...,a'-a_0)## is a vector without the indices properly indicated. Exactly what term is the volume?

FactChecker said:
Is this your wording
Unfortunately, yes. I realize now that this rudimentary dump of ideas is a jumbled mess that even the most patient academic would have trouble deciphering.

FactChecker said:
Is this a "number" or a vector?
The ##dx^1\wedge\ldots\wedge dx^n(a'-a_0,\ldots,a'-a_0)## term would be the volume. The ##dx^1\wedge\ldots\wedge dx^n## maps the matrix ##(a'-a_0,\ldots,a'-a_0)## to the product of the "side-lengths" of the hyperrectangle.

I should probably have just explained that this Cartesian product of partitions forms a lattice of points in n-space. And each pair of nodes in the lattice defines a hyperrectangle. These hyperrectangles are analogous to the intervals that partition of given closed interval, which serves as the domain for a Riemann-integrable function.

Eclair_de_XII said:
Anyway, I was trying to relate integration of forms to Riemann integration earlier. I was confused by the relationship between the notation ##\int_A f\,dx^1\wedge\,dx^2## and ##\int_A f(x)\,dx^1\,dx^2##, and then I tried to come up with my own explanation for why these two are equivalent, using my rather rusty knowledge of Riemann integration.
I'm not sure they are exactly equivalent. My understanding is that the wedge product, ##dx^1\wedge\,dx^2##, is a generalized oriented area represented by the counterclockwise rotation from the vector ##dx^1## to ##dx^2##. I'm not sure that ##dx^1 dx^2## represents the same thing unless the bounds on the integrand are a match. I will have to review the subject to give a more authoritative answer.
UPDATE: For ##dx^1\wedge\,dx^2##, order is very important; ##dx^1\wedge\,dx^2 = - dx^2\wedge\,dx^1##. That helps greatly in book-keeping and makes many results methodical. The same is not true of ##dx^1 dx^2##, where ##dx^1 dx^2 = dx^2 dx^1## and you are left to your own devices to keep things straight.

Last edited:
Likes Eclair_de_XII

1. What is the difference between integrating forms and Riemann integration?

Integrating forms is a generalization of Riemann integration, where the integral of a function is extended to include more types of functions, such as differential forms. Riemann integration is a specific type of integration that deals with continuous functions on a closed interval.

2. How are forms related to Riemann integration?

Forms are related to Riemann integration through the concept of differential forms, which are used to integrate functions on manifolds. Riemann integration is a special case of integrating forms on a one-dimensional manifold, such as a closed interval.

3. What is the significance of integrating forms in mathematics?

Integrating forms is significant in mathematics because it allows for a more general and powerful way to integrate functions on manifolds. It also has applications in areas such as differential geometry, physics, and engineering.

4. How does the process of integrating forms differ from Riemann integration?

The process of integrating forms differs from Riemann integration in that it involves using differential forms, which are multilinear functionals that assign a value to a vector field at each point on a manifold. This allows for a more general and flexible approach to integration compared to Riemann integration.

5. Can you provide an example of integrating a form using Riemann integration?

One example of integrating a form using Riemann integration is the calculation of the area under a curve on a closed interval. This can be done by approximating the curve with a series of rectangles and summing their areas, which is equivalent to using the Riemann sum method. This process can be extended to higher dimensions and more complex manifolds using differential forms.