Derivation of the Lorentz force, QM

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the expression for the acceleration in the Heisenberg picture. The correct expression is found by using the operator equation for the Lorentz force and the operator equation for the Heisenberg picture. This leads to the correct expression for the acceleration, which includes the electric and magnetic fields. The conversation also mentions the difficulty in finding the vector products without prior knowledge of the desired expression.
ag_swe
Studying in the Heisenberg picture, we have

[itex] \frac{\text{d}x_i}{\text{d}t}=-\frac{\text{i}}{\hbar}[x_i,H]=\frac{1}{m}\left(p_i-\frac{q}{c}A_i\right) [/itex]

where the last bracket is known as the kinematic momentum [itex] \pi [/itex]. Now, to find [itex] \frac{\text{d}^2{\bf{x}}}{\text{d}t^2} [/itex] I do the following:

[itex] \frac{\text{d}^2{\bf{x}}}{\text{d}t^2} = [\frac{\text{d}{\bf{x}}}{\text{d}t},H]
=[\frac{\pi}{m},\frac{\pi^2}{2m}+q\Phi]= [/itex]

[itex] \frac{\pi}{m}(\frac{\pi^2}{2m}+q\Phi)-(\frac{\pi^2}{2m}+q\Phi)\frac{\pi}{m}= [/itex]

[itex] \frac{\pi}{m}q\Phi-q\Phi\frac{\pi}{m}= [/itex]

[itex] \frac{q}{m}(-\text{i}\hbar\nabla-\frac{q}{c}{\bf{A}})\Phi-\frac{q}{m}\Phi(-\text{i}\hbar\nabla-\frac{q}{c}{\bf{A}}) [/itex]

[itex] \frac{\text{i}\hbar q}{m}{\bf{E}}-\frac{q^2}{mc}{\bf{A}}\Phi+\frac{\text{i}\hbar q}{m}\Phi \nabla+\frac{q^2}{mc}\Phi {\bf{A}}=?[/itex]

The correct expression should be

[itex] \frac{\text{d}^2{\bf{x}}}{\text{d}t^2} =\frac{q}{m}[{\bf{E}}+\frac{1}{2c}(\frac{\text{d}{\bf{x}}}{t} \times {\bf{B}}-{\bf{B}} \times \frac{\text{d}{\bf{x}}}{t})][/itex]

My expression should be multiplied with the constant [itex] -\text{i}/\hbar[/itex], so at least the electric field term in my expression is correct. But how do I transform the rest into the wanted expression?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use
[tex]m\frac{dv_{i}}{dt} = im[H , v_{i}] + m\frac{\partial v_{i}}{\partial t}[/tex]

then write
[tex]H = \frac{1}{2}m \sum_{k}v_{k}v_{k} + q \phi[/tex]

Now
[tex]
[H , v_{i}] = \frac{m}{2}\sum_{k} \{v_{k}[v_{k}, v_{i}] + [v_{k} , v_{i}] v_{k}\} + \frac{q}{m}[\phi , p_{i}]
[/tex]

Next use the operator equation (try to prove it!)
[tex][v_{i},v_{k}] = i \frac{q}{m^{2}}\epsilon_{ikj}B_{j}[/tex]
where
[tex]B_{j}= (\vec{\nabla}\times \vec{A})_{j}[/tex]
Notice that
[tex]m\frac{\partial v_{i}}{\partial t} = - q \frac{\partial A_{i}}{\partial t}[/tex]
Put every thing together and you will get the Lorentz force operator. Can you now see your mistakes?

Sam

Thank you very much. Very appreciated! However, I didn't get how to find the two vector products without "looking into the future", i.e., knowing what I was looking for.

1. What is the Lorentz force?

The Lorentz force is the force exerted on a charged particle moving through an electric and/or magnetic field. It was first described by Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz in the late 19th century.

2. How is the Lorentz force derived?

The Lorentz force can be derived using classical electromagnetism equations, specifically the Lorentz force law. This law states that the force on a charged particle is equal to the product of the charge of the particle, its velocity, and the strength of the electric and magnetic fields it is moving through.

3. How does the Lorentz force relate to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the Lorentz force is used to describe the behavior of charged particles in the presence of electric and magnetic fields. It is a crucial component in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles.

4. Can the Lorentz force be experimentally verified?

Yes, the Lorentz force has been experimentally verified countless times through various experiments and observations, including the famous Stern-Gerlach experiment which demonstrated the deflection of charged particles in a magnetic field.

5. Are there any limitations to the Lorentz force?

The Lorentz force is a classical theory and does not take into account the effects of quantum mechanics. It also does not account for relativistic effects at high speeds. However, it is still a very useful and accurate tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of charged particles in most situations.