Derivation of the potential of a charge

In summary, ehild explains that the potential energy around a point charge is -kq/d, and that the work done by the electric field is positive when a positive unit charge moves toward infinity.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I'm facing an extremely easy problem (well, I set it up myself) that I can't even solve!
I want to calculate the electric potential of a charge q in function of d, the distance from it.

I let 0 be the point where the charge is.
[tex]\varphi (d) - \varphi (0) = - \int _0^d \frac{kq \vec r}{r^3} \cdot d \vec r=-k q \int _0^d \frac{dr}{r^2}[/tex] and I would divide by zero if I continue.
So I realize that instead of the 0 in the lower integral limit, why should I put [tex]\infty[/tex]? After all, it's not like setting the potential energy as 0 at infinity. I'm dealing with the electrostatic potential and not the potential energy (although they differ by a multiplicative constant in the static case).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The potential at position r is defined as the work done by the field when a positive unit charge moves from r to the point where the potential is zero. In case of a point charge, we choose zero potential at infinity, so you have to integral from d to infinity.

[tex]
\varphi (d) - \varphi (\infty)= - \int _d^{\infty} \frac{kq \vec r}{r^3} \cdot d \vec r=-k q \int _d^{\infty} \frac{dr}{r^2}=\frac{kq }{d}
[/tex]

ehild

Thanks once again ehild, for the nice clarification/explanation.

Last question I hope: if the potential is positive, does that mean I have to do work to "push" the charge from r to infinity? And if the potential is negative, I don't have to do any work, rather the charge will do work and will get farer and farer?

I copy my previous sentence :

"The potential at position r is defined as the work done by the field when a positive unit charge moves from r to the point where the potential is zero. In case of a point charge, we choose zero potential at infinity"

If the potential is positive (like in the case around a positive point charge U=kQ/r) the work of the field is positive when the positive unit charge moves toward infinity. Around a negative point charge, the potential is negative (because of the negative value of the charge), so the field does negative work if a positive unit charge moves to infinity, and this work decreases its kinetic energy. The KE never is negative. The positive charge can go away from a negative one if it has some initial KE or there is some other force balancing the electric field.

When you move a charged particle in an electric field, there are two kinds of forces: The electric force and your force. The electric force is well-defined, you can find out that it is conservative, it has potential. Your force is as you like it (with limits, of course) you can not define the electric field by your force.
Moreover: A particle does not do work on itself, it is the force that does the work.

ehild

1. What is the potential of a charge?

The potential of a charge is a measure of the amount of energy a charge possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and is a scalar quantity.

2. How is the potential of a charge calculated?

The potential of a charge can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge to the point where the potential is being measured.

3. What is the relationship between potential and electric field?

The electric field is the negative gradient of the potential, meaning that the electric field is the rate of change of the potential with distance. In other words, the electric field is the force per unit charge that a charge would experience at a certain point in the electric field.

4. How does the potential of a charge affect the motion of other charges?

The potential of a charge affects the motion of other charges because it determines the direction and magnitude of the electric field. Charges will experience a force in the direction of the electric field, and the strength of the force will depend on the potential difference between the two points. This can cause charges to accelerate or decelerate.

5. Can the potential of a charge be negative?

Yes, the potential of a charge can be negative. This would occur if the charge is negative and the point where the potential is being measured is at a higher potential than the charge's position. Negative potential does not necessarily mean a decrease in energy, as it only indicates the direction of the electric field.