Derivation of the Vacuum Einstein Equations: Understanding ln det g = 1

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter PGaccount
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
PGaccount
Messages
85
Reaction score
25
I read somewhere that the vacuum Einstein equations can be written as

ln det g = 1

Does anyone know the derivation of this?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PrashantGokaraju said:
I read somewhere that the vacuum Einstein equations can be written as

ln det g = 0

Does anyone know the derivation of this?
That is not the same as Ricci=0.
 
There is context that you haven't provided. They don't say that this is the vacuum Einsein equations. They say that the Ricci = 0 for a Kahler manifold is equivalent to ln(det g) = 1.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Martin Scholtz and weirdoguy
PrashantGokaraju said:
I read somewhere that the vacuum Einstein equations can be written as

ln det g = 1

Does anyone know the derivation of this?

This cannot be true since it is not a differential equation for the metric. #Ric=0# are vacuum Einstein's equations and thus 2nd derivatives must appear. I don't have the book you cite, can you give us some context?
 
martinbn said:
There is context that you haven't provided. They don't say that this is the vacuum Einsein equations. They say that the Ricci = 0 for a Kahler manifold is equivalent to ln(det g) = 1.

Thanks, I didn't know this.