1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative as an Instantaneous rate of change

1. Sep 15, 2006 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2006 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mathematically, what is asked is [tex]V'(d)[/tex] (prime denotes differentiation), where V(d) is the volume as a function of the depth d. So find V(d) first.

4. Sep 15, 2006 #3

radou

Homework Helper

Yes, mathematically, the result should be a constant, but there's no serious physical sense here.

5. Sep 15, 2006 #4
    Thats the thing i am having trouble with, starting the equation? I know I need the Volume for a cylinder equation but how do I use it to figure it out?

6. Sep 15, 2006 #5

StatusX

Homework Helper

The volume of a cone is 1/3 b*h, where b is the area of the base (pi r^2) and h is the height.

7. Sep 15, 2006 #6
    So would the new equation be 1/3 4 - d * 4 - d (pi r^2)?

8. Sep 15, 2006 #7

radou

Homework Helper

The equation is V = 1/3 * d^3 * Pi . Since d can change, it is a variable, which makes the equation a function, so you can write V(d) = 1/3 * d^3 * Pi , because the volume of the fluid V depends of it's depth d.

9. Sep 15, 2006 #8
    Okay, Thanks a lot i didn't get the d^3.

10. Sep 15, 2006 #9

radou

Homework Helper

The d^3 is implied by radius = height.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?