Derivative at infinity on the Riemann sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of superattracting fixed points in quadratic polynomials, specifically looking at the polynomial P(z) = z2 with fixed points at P(0) = 0 and P(∞) = ∞. The derivative of P at ∞ is found to be 0 through a Mobius map transformation, which is further explored through a conversation about fixed points and conjugation by the Mobius map. The relevance of this concept is also discussed in relation to the paper being read.
Unit
I am reading a recent (2003) paper, "Fatou and Julia Sets of Quadratic Polynomials" by Jerelyn T. Watanabe. A superattracting fixed point is a fixed point where the derivative is zero. The polynomial P(z) = z2 has fixed points P(0) = 0 and P(∞) = ∞ (note we are working in [itex]\hat{\mathbb{C}} = \mathbb{C}\cup\infty[/itex]). The derivative at 0 is P'(0) = 0. The author then writes "the derivative of P at ∞ is given by 1/P'(1/ζ) = ζ/2. Evaluating at ζ = 0 gives P'(∞) = 0."

What's going on here? We seem to have conjugated P' by the Mobius map [itex]\zeta\mapsto1/\zeta[/itex]. Why? I would think, if anything, we'd have to conjugate P itself, in order to find properties of P...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, I think I've gotten somewhere.

Suppose P(a) = a. Let φ be a Mobius map. With b = φ(a), the derivative of φPφ-1 at b is φ'(P(φ-1(b))) P'(φ-1(b)) / φ'(φ-1(b)) = φ'(P(a)) P'(a) / φ'(a) = φ'(a) P'(a) / φ'(a) = P'(a).

So we can get P' at a fixed point a by evaluating the derivative of φPφ-1 at b = φ(a). Let P(z) = z2 + c with fixed point ∞, and φ(z) = 1/z = φ-1(z) so that φ(∞) = 0. Then φPφ(z) = φP(1/z) = φ(1/z2 + c) = z2/(cz2+1), whose derivative is 2z/(cz2+1)2, which evaluates to 0 at z =0. So P'(∞) = 0, apparently.

I don't quite understand this. And this still doesn't explain the conjugation of P' by 1/z in the author's example. Can somebody shed some light?

Aside: you have the fixed points of P wrong, unless you were assuming [itex]c=0[/itex].

Hurkyl: oops, thanks! I'll fix that.

1. What is the Riemann sphere?

The Riemann sphere is a mathematical concept that extends the complex plane to include a point at infinity. It is represented as a sphere, with each point on the sphere corresponding to a unique complex number.

2. What is a derivative at infinity?

A derivative at infinity is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches infinity. It is used to analyze the long-term behavior of a function and determine its limiting value.

3. How is a derivative at infinity calculated on the Riemann sphere?

To calculate a derivative at infinity on the Riemann sphere, the function is first transformed using a Möbius transformation to map the point at infinity to the origin. The derivative at infinity can then be calculated using the usual rules of differentiation.

4. What does a derivative at infinity tell us about a function?

A derivative at infinity can tell us about the long-term behavior of a function, such as whether it approaches a finite value or tends towards infinity. It can also give insight into the rate of change of the function as its input increases without bound.

5. How is the concept of a derivative at infinity used in real-world applications?

The concept of a derivative at infinity has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to analyze the stability of systems, predict long-term trends, and optimize processes. For example, in economics, a derivative at infinity can be used to determine the long-term growth rate of a company's profits.