Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of a fraction inside a radical

1. Jul 7, 2014 #1

ehh

f(z) = sq. rt of z-1 / z+1 --- both numerator and denominator are inside the radical.

I can write it as (z-1)^1/2 over (z+1)^1/2, right? If I simplify it using derivative of a quotient. Should I simplify (z-1)^1/2 and (z+1)^1/2 as whole numbers and multiply them to other terms, including adding the exponents? The teach said I couldn't because the one-halves are actually square roots so I cant count them as exponents. Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

√x = x^1/2; when taking derivatives of radicals you should always convert them to exponents.

4. Jul 7, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can differentiate [tex]\sqrt[2]{\frac{z- 1}{z+ 1}[/tex] by treating it as [tex]\frac{(z- 1)^{1/2}}{(z+ 1)^{1/2}}[/tex] using the quotient theorem, the chain rule, and the power rule, in that order. Or think of it as [tex]\left(\frac{z-1}{z+1}\right)^{1/2}[/tex] using the same rule in a different order. Or think of it as [tex](z- 1)^{1/2}(z+ 1)^{1/2}[/tex] and use the product rule rather than the quotient rule.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook