Derivative of a function with respect to its first derivative?

In summary: Does that make sense?In summary, the conversation discusses the use of chain rule and the abuse of notation in differentiating a function with respect to its first derivative. The question posed is whether it is possible to turn the partial derivative of L with respect to q' into the product of the partial derivative of L with respect to q and the derivative of q with respect to q'. The answer is no, as q and q' are independent variables in this context.
LYSpaceman
Derivative of a function with respect to its first derivative??

First, I will apologize for my inability to do Latex. Second, I am providing some background on my confusion. Recently, I have been learning functional derivatives and ran into the Euler-Lagrange equation. When I was reading the derivation, I had some confusion in the use of chain rule.

With my notation being, S = Integral of L( q, q', t) dt, when the partial derivatives are taken to find the change in functional S, and we end up with dS/de= Integral of ( dL/dq * dq/de + dL/dq' * dq'/de ) dt.

Where the d's are replaced by the appropriate partial or functional derivative. Now, my question about the chain rule is, is it possible to turn dL /dq' into dL/dq * dq/dq'?

Does dq/dq' exist? And if it does, is it a total derivative, partial derivative, or functional derivative?
Sorry if this seems a little bit confusing or if I am formulating my question incorrectly.

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, you can't. Regard them as independent functions, until you apply the added condition that one of them is the derivative of the other.

Isn't q a function of q'? q= integral of q' dt + C, right? Is that not enough?

LYSpaceman said:
First, I will apologize for my inability to do Latex. Second, I am providing some background on my confusion. Recently, I have been learning functional derivatives and ran into the Euler-Lagrange equation. When I was reading the derivation, I had some confusion in the use of chain rule.

With my notation being, S = Integral of L( q, q', t) dt, when the partial derivatives are taken to find the change in functional S, and we end up with dS/de= Integral of ( dL/dq * dq/de + dL/dq' * dq'/de ) dt.

Where the d's are replaced by the appropriate partial or functional derivative. Now, my question about the chain rule is, is it possible to turn dL /dq' into dL/dq * dq/dq'?

No. There is an abuse of notation. When we write
[tex]
S[q] = \int_a^b L(q(t),q'(t),t)\,\mathrm{d}t
[/tex]
we are using [itex]q[/itex] to stand for a differentiable real-valued function of a single real variable, with [itex]q'[/itex] being its derivative (which is of course a function of [itex]q[/itex]). But when we write
[tex]
\frac{\partial L}{\partial q}\qquad\mbox{and}\qquad
\frac{\partial L}{\partial q'}
[/tex]
we are instead using [itex]q[/itex] and [itex]q'[/itex] to indicate independent real variables (the first and second arguments of L respectively). And since they are independent variables, we have
[tex]
\frac{\partial q}{\partial q'} = \frac{\partial q'}{\partial q} = 0.
[/tex]

How are q and q' independent variables if a change in q' is a change for q as well? The arguments cannot be independent unless I am making a mistake.

Because they don't literally mean "how L changes when q changes" when they write [itex] \partial L/\partial q[/itex]. They mean "L is a function of three variables, and take the partial derivative of L with respect to the first variable". The fact that you then later plug in values into the first and second variable of L which are related is irrelevant to that calculation

1. What is the definition of a derivative of a function with respect to its first derivative?

The derivative of a function with respect to its first derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function with respect to its own derivative. In simpler terms, it measures how much the slope of a function changes as its input (x) changes.

2. How is the derivative of a function with respect to its first derivative calculated?

To calculate the derivative of a function with respect to its first derivative, you can use the chain rule. This involves taking the derivative of the original function with respect to its input (x) and then multiplying it by the derivative of the input (x) with respect to its first derivative.

3. What is the physical significance of the derivative of a function with respect to its first derivative?

The derivative of a function with respect to its first derivative has various physical interpretations, depending on the context. It can represent the rate of change of velocity with respect to time, the rate of change of acceleration with respect to position, or the rate of change of curvature with respect to distance.

4. How does the derivative of a function with respect to its first derivative relate to the higher-order derivatives?

The derivative of a function with respect to its first derivative is the first-order derivative. The second-order derivative represents the rate of change of the first-order derivative, and the third-order derivative represents the rate of change of the second-order derivative, and so on. In general, the n-th order derivative represents the rate of change of the (n-1)-th order derivative.

5. What are some real-life applications of the derivative of a function with respect to its first derivative?

The derivative of a function with respect to its first derivative has various applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. For example, it can be used to calculate the optimal trajectory of a rocket, to optimize production processes in manufacturing, or to analyze the market demand for a product. It also plays a crucial role in differential equations, which are used to model various systems in the real world.