Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of current and voltage

1. Jun 6, 2014 #1
    Exist some physical quantity for the derivative of the current wrt time? Exist another too for the derivative of the voltage wrt time?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2014 #2
    In an inductor dI/dt = V/L and in a capacitor dV/dt = I/C

4. Jun 6, 2014 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

This is a meaningless question. Current is a function of what is happening in the circuit and so is voltage. You have to find the equations for the current and voltage and then, sure, you can take the derivative. You have not specified any conditions, so there is nothing to take a derivative OF.

As Jhenrique pointed out, for the very limited cases of an inductor and a capacitor there are specific relationships among voltage/current/inductance and voltage/current/capacitance

5. Jun 6, 2014 #4
    I don't know how the americans speak "grandeza física" (pt-br) in english. "Grandeza física" for me is: area A, volume V, voltage v, force F, work W, power P, velocity v, acceleration a, etc, etc. I think that the translate is "physical quantity". Anyway... the first derivative of the carge q(t) wrt time t results the current i(t), so, the 2nd derivative results another "physical quantity" ?(t) ?

Similarly, dΦ/dt = v(t), so d²Φ/dt² = ?(t)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook