1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of e^(-(1/3)x^2-(1/5)y^4) ?

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1
    Derivative of e^(-(1/3)x^2-(1/5)y^4) ????

I need help figuring this out. I know that the derivative of e^5x is 5e^x but I'm not sure what to do when x is raised to a power or when there is another variable involved, such as y. Once again here is what I need to find: Derivative of e^(-(1/3)x^2-(1/5)y^4)

And if you guys know of a way that I can display that in a clearer way such as with some type of symbol tool please let me know for future posts. To make that clearer I want to find the derivative of e raised to the power of (negative one-third x^2 minus one-fifth y^4). Also, if you know of a site that fully explains the derivatives of e and includes explanations to the above problem let me know. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2008 #2
    It may just be a typo on your part, but the derivative of e^5x is 5e^5x, not 5e^x.

With derivatives of e^(stuff), you start out by simply re-writing e^(stuff) and then multiplying by the derivative of (stuff). Like in e^5x, you re-write e^5x and then multiply by the derivative of 5x, which is five, giving you 5e^5x.

In your problem, you re-write your original term and then multiply by the derivative of
    (-(1/3)x^2-(1/5)y^4) which is (-(2/3)x-[((4/5)y^3)dy/dx]) using implicit differentiation. The final answer would then be {-(2/3)x-[((4/5)y^3)dy/dx]}e^(-(1/3)x^2-(1/5)y^4).

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?