Derivative of Geometric Series

In summary, the conversation is about finding the expectation value of a function and using geometric series to solve for it. The confusion arises from forgetting to divide out a factor of 1/4, which leads to the incorrect solution. The correct solution involves recognizing the derivative of the series and applying knowledge about geometric series.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I am having trouble following what is going on in this solution. We are looking to find the expectation value of:

[tex]f(x,y)=\frac{1}{4^{x+y}}\cdot\frac{9}{16}[/tex]

I have gotten it down to:

[tex]E(X) = \frac{3}{4}\sum_{x=0}^\infty x\cdot\left(\frac{1}{4}\right)^x\qquad(1)[/tex]

We know that for a geometric series with an initial value of 1 we can write for 0 < r < 1:

[tex]\sum_{x=0}^\infty r^x = \frac{1}{1-r}[/tex]

taking the derivative of both sides wrt 'r' yields:

[tex]\sum_{x=1}^\infty r^{x-1} = \frac{1}{(1-r)^2}\qquad(2)[/tex]Here is where I get confused:

I thought it was a simple matter of plugging in:

[tex]\frac{3}{4}\cdot\frac{1}{(1-1/4)^2} = 4/3[/tex]

However, the solution gives:[tex]\frac{3}{4}\cdot\underbrace{\frac{1}{4}}\cdot\frac{1}{(1-1/4)^2} = 1/3[/tex]

I am a little confused as to where the factor of 1/4 is coming from. I am having a feeling that it has something to do with the fact that (1) runs from 0 to infinite and (2) runs from 1 to infinite.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, you forgot to divide out a (1/4) in order to get the summand into the form [tex] x r^{x-1} [/tex]. In particular:

[tex]\sum_{x=0}^\infty x r^{x}[/tex]

Divide out an r, dropping the power in the summand down by 1:

[tex] r \sum_{x=0}^\infty x r^{x-1} [/tex]

Recognize that this is the derivative of the series with respect to r:

[tex] = r \sum_{x=0}^\infty \frac{d}{dr} \left(r^x\right) [/tex]

Take the derivative outside of the sum and apply your knowledge about the geometric series:

[tex] = r \frac{d}{dr} \left( \sum_{x=0}^\infty r^x \right) = r \frac{d}{dr} \left( \frac{1}{1-r} \right) = r \frac{1}{(1-r)^2} [/tex]

So that r out in front is where the extra (1/4) factor comes from.

Likes Jack Bramson
hbweb500 said:
Ah, you forgot to divide out a (1/4) in order to get the summand into the form [tex] x r^{x-1} [/tex]. In particular:

[tex]\sum_{x=0}^\infty x r^{x}[/tex]

Divide out an r, dropping the power in the summand down by 1:

[tex] r \sum_{x=0}^\infty x r^{x-1} [/tex]

Recognize that this is the derivative of the series with respect to r:

[tex] = r \sum_{x=0}^\infty \frac{d}{dr} \left(r^x\right) [/tex]

Take the derivative outside of the sum and apply your knowledge about the geometric series:

[tex] = r \frac{d}{dr} \left( \sum_{x=0}^\infty r^x \right) = r \frac{d}{dr} \left( \frac{1}{1-r} \right) = r \frac{1}{(1-r)^2} [/tex]

So that r out in front is where the extra (1/4) factor comes from.

Wow, great explanation hbweb500! Thanks for the help :smile:

What is the formula for finding the derivative of a geometric series?

The formula for finding the derivative of a geometric series is a1 / (1 - r)2, where a1 is the first term of the series and r is the common ratio.

How do you use the formula to find the derivative of a geometric series?

To use the formula, you need to know the first term of the series and the common ratio. Plug these values into the formula and simplify the expression to find the derivative.

Can you use the formula for finding the derivative of a geometric series for any series?

No, the formula is only applicable for geometric series where the terms increase or decrease by a constant ratio.

What is the significance of finding the derivative of a geometric series?

Finding the derivative of a geometric series can help determine the rate of change of the series. It can also be used to find the maximum or minimum value of the series.

Are there any real-world applications of the derivative of a geometric series?

Yes, the concept of geometric series and their derivatives are used in finance, engineering, and other fields to model and analyze real-world situations.