1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of Inverse Function

1. Sep 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find g' (-1/2), where g(x) is the inverse of f(x) = x3 / (x2 + 1)

2. Relevant equations

g'(x) = 1/f' [g(x)]

3. The attempt at a solution

Everything else I tried got really messy, but I feel like I'm going out on a limb by:

1) y=x3 / (x2+1)

2) y=x3x-2 / 1

3) y=x

4) g '(0.5)= 1/ (0.53 /(0.52+1) = 10

I don't even know if I'm going about it the right way. Any help would be awesome. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2010 #2
    You say in 1) that
    y = x^3 / (x^2 + 1)
    and in 3) that
    y = x.

If you put in x = 1 you see that in 1) you get 1/2 and in 3) you get 1. Something must hence be wrong.
  4. Sep 28, 2010 #3
    Very true. I realize something is wrong. That was just my attempt.
  5. Sep 28, 2010 #4
    But . . . I could still use some help with this problem, obviously.
  6. Sep 28, 2010 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Line 2 is incorrect, it should be

y=x3x-2 / (1+x-2),

which actually just makes things more complicated. Just differentiate the expression on line 1 directly.
  7. Sep 28, 2010 #6
    It would help to figure out what g(-1/2) was equal to

Then you could just plug stuff into this relationship: g'(x) = 1/f' [g(x)] -> g'(-1/2) = 1/f' [g(-1/2)]

Since we know that g is the inverse of f, we should try to solve when f(a) = -1/2. Then we would know a = g(-1/2).

So -1/2 = x^3 / (x^2 + 1) -> -1/2*(x^2 + 1) = x^3 -> 0 = x^3 + 1/2x^2 + ½ which clearly has a solution at -1. So we know g(-1/2) = -1 which means: g'(-1/2) = 1/f'(-1) and you can do the rest from there id bet.
  8. Sep 28, 2010 #7
    So I differentiate to get

And then I dared to simplify it down to

But what I don't understand from all of this is that if I do that, am I plugging this in for the g(x) for the 1/ f '[g(x)]? That would be like plugging f '[f '(x)] right? I'm sorry I'm just trying to understand how to solve these types of problems.
  9. Sep 28, 2010 #8
    As the guy above said, if f(c) = -1/2 then g(-1/2) = c. To find out what g(-1/2) is we need to find c, that is to solve the equation f(x) = -1/2.

When this is done you can just plug everything into the formula.
  10. Sep 29, 2010 #9
    Surely if I have a function y=f(x), then the inverse is just x=g(y) and it's derivative is [itex]\frac{dx}{dy}[/itex] which is a function of y. So that for:

we have [itex]x=f^{-1}(y)[/itex] and so the derivative of the inverse at [itex]y_0[/itex] can be written as:

So now let [itex]y_0=-1/2[/tex]. Then solve:

which has three solutions. The inverse and it's derivative are multi-valued right since it's going to be a cube root correct? Therefore, just find the three roots [itex] (x_1,x_2,x_3)[/itex] and for example, then one derivative of the inverse at y=-1/2 is:

Try and follow the following Mathematica code which explicitly computes the inverse, then finds it's (multivalued) derivative at y=-1/2:

Code (Text):

f[x_] := x^3/(x^2 + 1);
    mysols = x /. Solve[f[x] == y, x]
    N[D[mysols, y] /. y -> -2^(-1)]
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook