Derivative of inverse hyperbolic trigonometric functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the derivative of sinh-1(x) and ln(x+sqrt(1+x^2)) and the use of hyperbolic trigonometry in solving this problem. The correct way to find the derivative of inverse functions is through implicit differentiation, using the fact that cosh^2 x - sinh^2 x = 1. The conversation also notes that there may be alternative methods for finding the derivative that the person may need to know for the school year.
Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm working on a pre-freshman year math packet for college, and at one point it asks for the derivative of sinh-1(x), followed up by the derivative of ln( x + sqrt(1+x2) ). In high school, we never really covered hyperbolic trigonometry, but I have previously derived that the inverse of sinh is ln( x + sqrt(1+x2) ), and used that fact to solve for the derivative of sinh-1' (by taking the derivative of the ln term)

The trouble I'm having is that it seems obvious that you weren't supposed use the ln term to solve for the derivative, otherwise they wouldn't have posed both questions next to each other. So my guess is that there's some alternative method through which you can solve for this that I may need to know for the school year. If anyone has any ideas, that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
The usual way to find the derivative of inverse functions is to use implicit differentiation. For example, for sin-1 x, we have:

[tex] y= \sin^{-1} x [/tex]

[tex] \sin y =x [/tex]

[tex] \cos y \frac{dy}{dx} = 1 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{\cos y} [/tex]

You can get up to this point for any inverse function, but the tricky part is now to solve for the RHS in terms of x. In this case, as well as in yours, it isn't too hard, and you can write:

[tex] \frac{1}{\cos y}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1- \sin^2 y}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1- x^2}} [/tex]

And so:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{d}{dx} (\sin^{-1} x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1- x^2}} [/tex]

there is an error in the calculations of SatusX.

The basic relation with hyperbolic function is
cosh^2 x - sinh^2 x = 1.

Now if
y = sinh-1 x
than
x = sinh y
dx/dy = coshy
but cosh^2 y = 1+sinh^2y =1+x^2.
so
dy/dx =1/sqrt(1+x^2)
where sqrt means square root.
bye

There is no error. StatusX used sin x instead of sinh x as an example.

I'm retarded. I know how to do it like that (essentially, it looks a little different), it's just that I used a right triangle relationship between cosine and sin, and couldn't figure out the relationship between sinh and cosh (maybe if I draw a curved triangle... :rofl: ). Anyways, I can't believe I didn't think of cosh^2 x - sinh^2 x = 1

1. What are inverse hyperbolic trigonometric functions?

Inverse hyperbolic trigonometric functions are mathematical functions that represent the inverse of hyperbolic trigonometric functions. They are denoted by "arc" or "ar" followed by the corresponding hyperbolic trigonometric function, such as arsinh, arcosh, artanh, etc.

2. How do you find the derivative of inverse hyperbolic trigonometric functions?

The derivative of inverse hyperbolic trigonometric functions can be found using the chain rule. For example, the derivative of arsinh(x) is 1/sqrt(1+x^2). The derivatives of other inverse hyperbolic trigonometric functions can also be found using similar methods.

3. What is the domain and range of inverse hyperbolic trigonometric functions?

The domain of inverse hyperbolic trigonometric functions is the set of real numbers, while the range depends on the specific function. For example, the range of arsinh(x) is all real numbers, while the range of artanh(x) is (-1, 1).

4. What are the applications of inverse hyperbolic trigonometric functions?

Inverse hyperbolic trigonometric functions have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used in solving differential equations, calculating arc lengths, and determining the coordinates of points on a hyperbolic curve.

5. Are there any special properties of inverse hyperbolic trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are several special properties of inverse hyperbolic trigonometric functions. For example, the derivative of arsinh(x) is equal to 1/sqrt(1+x^2), and the integral of 1/sqrt(1+x^2) is equal to arsinh(x). Additionally, the inverse hyperbolic trigonometric functions are odd functions, meaning that they satisfy the property f(-x) = -f(x).