1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you derive a trigonometric function from its inverse dx?

1. Jan 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Arbitrary derivative of inverse trigonometric function:
    (sin-1x) = 1/(√1 - x2)

2. Relevant equations
    f-1(f(x)) = 1/f`(x)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So basically I learned about derivatives of trigonometric functions in class, and I thought maybe this would work: deriving the derivative of the regular sine function from its inverse sine, and then integrating that, to express a regular arbitrary trigonometric function in terms of x. Here is my thinking:

(sin-1x) = 1/(√1-x2)
    f-1(sin x) = 1/(sin x)` = 1/(√1 - x2)

Which is to say that:

(sin x)` = (√1 - x2)

Integrating this, we have

sin x = ∫(1 - x2)½dx

I haven't yet figured out how to evaluate this integral, but can someone tell me if my thinking is straight or not?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not really clear what you are trying to achieve, but there clearly are a number of mistakes.
    (sin-1x) = 1/(√1 - x2): you probably meant ##(\sin^{-1})'(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x²}}##
    f-1(f(x)) = 1/f`(x): you probably meant ##(f^{-1})'(f(x))=\frac{1}{f'(x)}##
    In both cases there is a derivative sign missing.

As you started from wrong equations, the final result is also incorrect: ##\sin(x) \neq \int \sqrt{1-x²}dx##.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  4. Jan 28, 2016 #3
    Can I ask anybody to refrain from posting in this topic?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  5. Jan 28, 2016 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then what was your point in posting it?

6. Jan 28, 2016 #5
    Never mind... I can't change what other people think, and I certainly can't stop people from saying what's on their mind.

7. Jan 28, 2016 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You could mark it as "Solved" using the new button at the top right of the thread.

8. Jan 28, 2016 #7
  9. Jan 28, 2016 #8

Mark44

You're a member, so you should be able to use it. If you scroll all the way up to the top of the thread, don't you see a button that says "MARK SOLVED"?

This is a new change, so it could be that you have an old version of our software in your cache. Try logging out, and then logging back in.

10. Jan 28, 2016 #9
    I still can't see it. If you can't find it in the link I posted, then I won't be able to find it, either.

It's probably a premium feature.

11. Jan 28, 2016 #10

Mark44

Maybe your browser doesn't support it. I don't think we have and "premium features."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted