1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of momentum with respect to time

1. Oct 31, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, I don't really have a particular problem that needs to be solved, I'm just interested in why dPhat/dt = v/R. It's explained very poorly in my physics book, or I'm just not smart enough to understand it the way they explained it.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2013 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

dp/dt = F, where F is force.

So there's no way it could equal v/R if v is speed and R is a distance, the units don't work out. What are v and R?

4. Oct 31, 2013 #3
    Sorry, I explained that poorly. I don't mean the derivative dPhat/dt = v/R, i want to know why dPhat/dt is equal to v/R

pvector = pmag*phat

so by using the product rule you get:

dpvector/dt = (dpmag/dt)*phat + pmag * (dphat/dt)

(dpmag/dt)*phat is the rate of change of the magnitude of momentum, or the force parallel.

pmag * (dphat/dt) is the rate of change of the direction of the momentum, or the force perpendicular.

It says in my book that, lim Δt approaches 0, magnitude(Δphat/Δt) = magnitude(dphat/dt) = vmag/R

So I want to know why that is?

5. Oct 31, 2013 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Ah, yes, dphat is dimensionless, I see. I think you can imagine v is tangential velocity of an object rotating around some circle with radius R with your coordinate system at the center of the circle. So if you have a huge circle, R is going to be very big and your tangential force will be smaller since the object turns at a slower rate with a bigger circle (given a constant tangential velocity, v).

6. Oct 31, 2013 #5
    Okay, I get some of that, but I'm still having a hard time conceptualizing how those 2 quantities are equal. I get that the velocity will be pointing in the direction of the Phat, but I don't understand how one derives velocity/radius from dPhat/dt.

I'm basically trying to understand it, because it makes more sense to truly understand rather than memorize that dPhat/dt = v/R

7. Oct 31, 2013 #6

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Well, you can derive it from p=mv using the definition of the unit vector.

8. Oct 31, 2013 #7

Pythagorean

Gold Member

you would also have to consider that:

[tex]\vec{p} = m\vec{v}[/tex]

and that

[tex]\vec{v} = x\hat{x} + y\hat{y}[/tex]

9. Oct 31, 2013 #8
    How do you derive it? I've been messing around with it for a little while and I can't seem to figure it out.

Phat = p/pmag = m*vvector/m*vmag = vvector/vmag

dt = dp/Fnet

(vvector/vmag)*Fnet/dp

Am I doing this right? I'm kind of lost at that point.

I'm not sure I've seen that bottom equation before.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  10. Oct 31, 2013 #9

Pythagorean

Gold Member

hrm. I'm not getting there with my approach either. I'll have to rethink it. can you define v and R for me and tell me the general physical set up?

11. Oct 31, 2013 #10
    Well v is just velocity, and R is the radius of a kissing circle.

For instance, if an asteroid had a circular orbit around a planet, then the speed would be constant. Only the direction would be changing, so you'd want to find the rate of change of the direction of momentum, which is |p|*(dpvector/dt) which = |p|*(|v|/R) = (m*|v^2|)/R

12. Nov 5, 2013 #11

Pythagorean

Gold Member

So the derivation is lots of algebra so I didn't carry it through.

However, if you have a vector and you break it into magnitude and direction, then [itex]\frac{d \hat{p}}{dt}[/itex] is just "change in direction of vector per time".

So if you imagine a particle orbiting around in a circle, it's going to turn faster as it's tangential velocity is higher (it's going faster around the circle so it's turning faster) and, given a fixed v, it's going to turn faster on a smaller circle. So v/r seems to fit qualitatively, no?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted