Derivative of y(x)=sin x: \cos x

  • Thread starter Thread starter abstrakt!
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
abstrakt!
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
I am studying this from a book I found online, and I need a little bit of help.

Homework Statement


Find the derivative when [itex]y(x)=\sin x[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



[itex]\frac{dy}{dx} \ = \ limit \ of \ \frac {\Delta y}{\Delta x} \ = \ \lim h \rightarrow 0 \ \frac{\sin(x+h)-\sin x}{h}[/itex]

[itex]\sin(x+h)=\sin x \cos h + \cos x \sin h[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} \ = \ \frac {\sin x \cos h + \cos x \sin h-\sin x}{h} \ = \ \sin x ( \frac{\cos h-1}{h}) + \cos x (\frac{\sin h}{h})[/itex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Strictly speaking, how you do that depends upon what your definitions of "sine" and "cosine" are- and there are several possible. What definitions are you using?