1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of y = x^(x^2-7)

1. Sep 5, 2006 #1
    i jst wanted to know if this is right. I need to find out the derivative of:
    y = x^(x^2 - 7) :smile:

y = x^(x^2 - 7)

ln y = (x^2 -7) ln (x)

1/y = x^2 + 2x -7

y = x
    (x^2 + 2x - 7)

dy/dx = -x^2 + 2x - 9 <----------- my answer
    (x^2 + 2x -7)
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Your notation is a bit unclear to me, but the logarithm is a good idea:

y = x^{x^2 - 7} \Rightarrow y = \exp \left( {\ln \left( {x^{x^2 - 7} } \right)} \right) = \exp \left( {\left( {x^2 - 7} \right)\ln \left( x \right)} \right)

Can you find the derivative of that exponential?
  4. Sep 5, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Beware of non-fixed fonts! Much better in Latex.
    I don't see how you got from x2- 7 to x2+ 2x- 7 and I certainly don't see where that -x2+ 2x- 9 came from!
    And, you seem to first solve for y, then it magically becomes y'.

You want to differentiate [itex]y= x^{x^2-7}[/itex] so you rewrite it as
    [tex]ln(y)= (x^2- 7)ln(x)[/itex]
    The derivative of ln y with respect to y is [itex]\frac{1}{y}[/itex] but you want the derivative with respect to x- so use the chain rule:
    [tex]\frac{d ln y}{dx}= \frac{d ln y}{dy}\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{1}{y}\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]
    but it is exactly dy/dx you want to find!
    The left hand side is not just 1/y but is (1/y)y'.

On the right side you want to differentiate (x2- 7)ln x: use the product rule- (fg)'= f'g+ fg'. ((x2-7)ln(x))'= (x2-7)' ln(x)+ (x2-7)(ln x)'. The derivative of x2- 7 is 2x and the derivative of ln x is 1/x so ((x2-7)ln(x))'= (2x) ln(x)+ (x2-7)/x. Put those together:
    [tex]\frac{1}{y}y'= 2x ln x+ \frac{x^2- 7}{x}[/tex]
    and solve for y'.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?