Find Derivative of f(x) = x+2 / x-2

• Thread starter alpha01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, finding the derivative of f(x) = x+2 / x-2 can be done using the quotient rule or the definition of a derivative. However, using the quotient rule may be more convenient in this case. It is also important to simplify the function before attempting to find its derivative. In the case of f(x) = (x^2 -1) / x, the same answer can be obtained using either the quotient rule or the definition of a derivative. When it is not specified which method to use, it is best to choose the most convenient one.
alpha01
Im trying to find the derivative of f(x) = x+2 / x-2

I know the formula to apply to this but it get quite messy because this example is a fraction.

Maybe i need to put function f(x) in a more simplier form before attempting to find its derivative?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you using the quotient rule?

montoyas7940 said it: quotient rule.

Unless you are specifically asked to use the definition of the derivative, but I can't imagine why?

It specifically asks to use the definition (not the quotient rule) that's why I am a bit confused.

I didn't find any serious complexity to do it using the definition. Just plugin the values f(x+h) and f(x), some cross multiplication, some cancellation and you are done.

maybe break it up into f (x) = x +2 and g (x) = x - 2, find the derivatives of f(x) and g(x) using the definition, then solve f '(x) / g '(x)?

is that what the question means?

absolutely no... you can't do that.

Sourabh N said:
I didn't find any serious complexity to do it using the definition. Just plugin the values f(x+h) and f(x), some cross multiplication, some cancellation and you are done.

thats what i initially did, but i didnt think it was right. thanks, ill do this again.

can i also do this for f(x) = (x^2 -1) / x ?

(for this question it doesn't say which rule to use)

or should i just use the quotient rule for this?

i mean, i should get the same answer if i use the quotient rule or the definition of a derivative for this one?

Last edited:
You will always get the same answer, no matter which method you use. :wink:

alpha01 said:
maybe break it up into f (x) = x +2 and g (x) = x - 2, find the derivatives of f(x) and g(x) using the definition, then solve f '(x) / g '(x)?

is that what the question means?

Finding the derivative of x^2 with this method would then work like:
[tex]x^2 = x^3 / x [/tex]
so if [itex]f(x) = x^3, f'(x) = 3 x^2 [/itex] and [itex]g(x) = x, g'(x) = 1[/itex] so
[tex]f'(x) / g'(x) = 3 x^2 / 1 = 3 x^2 \stackrel{!}{\neq} 2 x. [/tex]

When they don't say which rule to use you just use the one which is the most convenient. It can be rigorously proven that they all give the same answer (of course, they should, otherwise you wouldn't be allowed to use them in the first place). And the definition is never the most convenient one, if you know the sum, product, quotient and chain rules.

"maybe break it up into f (x) = x +2 and g (x) = x - 2, find the derivatives of f(x) and g(x) using the definition, then solve f '(x) / g '(x)? "

the right formula in this case will be

f'(x).g(x) - f(x).g'(x) / g'(x) ^ 2.

for the example with x^2 = X^3 / X , it will be
3x^2. x - 1. x^3 / x^2 = 2x^3 / x^2 = 2x

1. What is the derivative of f(x) = x+2 / x-2?

The derivative of f(x) = x+2 / x-2 is equal to (x-2)(1) - (x+2)(1) / (x-2)^2. This can be simplified to 4/(x-2)^2.

2. What is the significance of finding the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function represents the rate of change of the function at a specific point. It can also be used to find the slope of a tangent line to the function at that point.

3. How do you find the derivative of a fraction?

To find the derivative of a fraction, use the quotient rule: (f'(x)g(x) - f(x)g'(x)) / (g(x))^2. In this case, f(x) = x+2 and g(x) = x-2.

4. Can the derivative of a function be negative?

Yes, the derivative of a function can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that particular point.

5. What is the relationship between the derivative and the original function?

The derivative of a function represents the instantaneous rate of change of the original function. It can also be used to find the slope of the tangent line to the function at a specific point. In essence, the derivative and the original function are closely related and provide important information about the behavior of the function.