Derivative with constant variables

In summary: I guess I didn't even know what I"m working with. Seems I overthought the problem, but I'm not sure I'd have gotten there without your help... I'm going to have to make sure I know what I'm working with before I start trying to solve something like this again. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of V that would represent a minimum for D, given that a and b are both positive constants and D = av^2+b/v^2. The approach involves taking the derivative of D and setting it equal to 0 to find critical points, and then using the second derivative to determine whether those points are maxima or minima. The correct solution involves isolating v and pl
bmanmcfly
Derivative with "constant" variables

Hi, I need some help figuring out this one situation that's got me thrown for a loop... not the first time, since my grasp of calculus is slippery at best.

Homework Statement

a and b are both positive constants
Drag(D) = av^2+b/v^2
I'm trying to find the value of V that would represent a min for D

Homework Equations

D=av^2+b/v^2
[tex]\frac{dD}{dv} = 2av-\frac{2b}{v^{3}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^{2}D}{dv^{2}}= 2a+\frac{6b}{v^{4}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If I learned this proper, the derivative = 0 at Max / Min points... so;
[tex]0=2av-\frac{2b}{v^{3}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2b}{v^{3}}= 2a[/tex]
[tex]v=\left(\frac{b}{a}\right)^{-1/4}[/tex]

I figured that with the second derivative that since all positive values of v will have a positive value of d^2D/dv^2, and so any point of the derivative =0 will be a minimum point for D.

Now, since this is homework, I don't necessarily need the correct answer, but if I could be pointed to where I'm gong wrong (if I am)... I don't know why, but having these variables as constants is really throwing me for a loop, and any help / advice here would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

bmanmcfly said:
Hi, I need some help figuring out this one situation that's got me thrown for a loop... not the first time, since my grasp of calculus is slippery at best.

Homework Statement

a and b are both positive constants
Drag(D) = av^2+b/v^2
I'm trying to find the value of V that would represent a min for D

Homework Equations

D=av^2+b/v^2
[tex]\frac{dD}{dv} = 2av-\frac{2b}{v^{3}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^{2}D}{dv^{2}}= 2a+\frac{6b}{v^{4}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If I learned this proper, the derivative = 0 at Max / Min points... so;
[tex]0=2av-\frac{2b}{v^{3}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2b}{v^{3}}= 2a[/tex]
You have a mistake above - it should be
$$ \frac{2b}{v^{3}}= 2av$$
bmanmcfly said:
[tex]v=\left(\frac{b}{a}\right)^{-1/4}[/tex]
What you have above is OK, though.
bmanmcfly said:
I figured that with the second derivative that since all positive values of v will have a positive value of d^2D/dv^2, and so any point of the derivative =0 will be a minimum point for D.

Now, since this is homework, I don't necessarily need the correct answer, but if I could be pointed to where I'm gong wrong (if I am)... I don't know why, but having these variables as constants is really throwing me for a loop, and any help / advice here would be appreciated.

I'm not sure what your question is.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
You have a mistake above - it should be
$$ \frac{2b}{v^{3}}= 2av$$
What you have above is OK, though.

I'm not sure what your question is.

I got to find the values of v where d would be at a min.

I think I was going wrong by isolating v, instead I think I should isolate a and b and plug those into the equation of d= av^2+b/v^2.

This gave me d is at min when d = 2b/v^2 and/ or d=2av^2

Otherwise, the min for d=[tex]\frac{ab +ba}{\sqrt{ab}}[/tex]
(got that by plugging in the values for v=(b/a)^1/4)

Ultimately, my question is: does this look like I am on the right track?

bmanmcfly said:

I think I was going wrong by isolating v, instead I think I should isolate a and b and plug those into the equation of d= av^2+b/v^2.
Without more information, there's no way you can solve for a and b.
bmanmcfly said:
I'm not sure what your reasoning here is, but it looks like you're saying that if a = 0, then D = 2b/v2, and when b = 0, D = 2av2.
bmanmcfly said:
In post 1, you had v = (b/a)-1/4, which is the same as (a/b)1/4.
bmanmcfly said:

bmanmcfly said:

No, a and b are just constants - they could be any number, the number just isn't important for what you're trying to do. The velocity v is the variable, so that what you need to solve for, and you found the velocity which minimizes the drag. You can then plug that value of the velocity into your drag equation,

$$D(v_{min}) = a\left(\frac{a}{b}\right)^{-1/2} + b\left(\frac{a}{b}\right)^{+1/2}.$$

Then you simplify. There's no need to set a or b to zero.

The expression you derived, ##(ba+ab)/\sqrt{ba}## is correct, but you can simplify it further.

You will then have an expression for the minimum drag that involves the unspecified constants a and b. You can now choose any values for those constants and your formula will tell you what the minimum drag on the system is (which it attains when moving at the minimum velocity you calculated in post 3 - the expression you gave in post 1 appears to have been flipped).

Mute said:
No, a and b are just constants - they could be any number, the number just isn't important for what you're trying to do. The velocity v is the variable, so that what you need to solve for, and you found the velocity which minimizes the drag. You can then plug that value of the velocity into your drag equation,

$$D(v_{min}) = a\left(\frac{a}{b}\right)^{-1/2} + b\left(\frac{a}{b}\right)^{+1/2}.$$

Then you simplify. There's no need to set a or b to zero.

The expression you derived, ##(ba+ab)/\sqrt{ba}## is correct, but you can simplify it further.

You will then have an expression for the minimum drag that involves the unspecified constants a and b. You can now choose any values for those constants and your formula will tell you what the minimum drag on the system is (which it attains when moving at the minimum velocity you calculated in post 3 - the expression you gave in post 1 appears to have been flipped).

Thanks, I had just finished solving the problem and it, in spite of my lack of confidence in the answer, was exactly what you described here.

Most of all, not only did I finally work this out, I figured out what I was doing wrong in my approach at first... As evidence of not needing help on the next, equally challenging, question, for that I thank you all.

The last point you raised of the exponent -1/4, that was an error that I made and partially edited out.

Forgot that the fourth square of a function is the same as 1/4, and not -4 as I had mistakenly used at first, and only partially corrected, so in post 1 I flipped it by mistake, it wasn't until I looked closer that I realized there was no way the two were equivalent.

Either way, thanks again for the help, like I said, better to be shown how to do it then just gettin the answer as you guys do. Appreciate it.

1. What is a derivative with constant variables?

A derivative with constant variables is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables. In other words, it measures how much a function is changing at a specific point.

2. How do you calculate a derivative with constant variables?

To calculate a derivative with constant variables, you can use the power rule, which states that the derivative of a polynomial function is equal to the coefficient of the term multiplied by the exponent of the term, and then subtracting 1 from the exponent. You can also use the product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule for more complex functions.

3. What is the importance of derivatives with constant variables in science?

Derivatives with constant variables are essential in science as they help us understand the behavior and properties of functions. They are used in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology, to analyze rates of change, optimize systems, and make predictions.

4. How does the concept of constant variables affect the derivative?

The concept of constant variables does not affect the derivative itself. In fact, when taking the derivative, we treat constant variables as constants, and they do not change. However, when we have a function with multiple variables, the derivative may vary depending on which variable we are considering as constant and which one we are differentiating with respect to.

5. Can a derivative with constant variables be negative?

Yes, a derivative with constant variables can be negative. A negative derivative represents a decreasing function, where the output value is decreasing as the input value increases. It can also indicate a function that has a negative slope at a specific point, meaning it is getting steeper as it moves to the right on the graph.