1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives: Find Q and its tangent

1. Oct 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Disclaimer: English is not my first language, so i apologize for any wrong math-terms.

We look at the function f(x) = x^3. On the graph for f we have a point, P(a,a^3), where a =/= 0. The tangent to f through P cuts through f in another point, Q. Find Q and show, that the tangent to f through Q has a slope which is 4 times as steep as the tangent to f through P.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Tangent through P cuts the function f in Q, which means in Q tangentP=x^3.

3a^2(x-a)+a^3=x^3 <=>
    3a^2=(x^3-a^3)/(x-a) <=>
    3a^2=x^2-a^2 <=>
    4a^2=x^2
    2a=x

Which means Q is located in (2a,(2a)^3)<=> Q(2a,8a^3)

But this means that the tangent through Q has a slope which is twice as steep as it should be, since:

tangentQ=8a^3+24a^2(x-a)

I am not sure how i should solve this problem, and i hope you are able to understand my sloppy english/and math.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2015 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Looks fine up to here. However, you apparently think ##\frac{x^3-a^3}{x-a} = x^2-a^2##. Try it with x=2 and a=1, for instance. You get 7 = 3. That doesn't work, does it?

4. Oct 18, 2015 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Zebo, welcome to PF :smile: !

Your english is excellent, no problem reading and understanding at all. Now for the math :
    If I make a sketch of f(x) = x^3 and draw a tangent at x=1 (so your a = 1), then I see that that tangent intersects the curve of f(x) at a negative value of x, and not at x= 2. Conclusion: there must be something wrong with your solving ##3a^2 (x-a)+a^3 =x^3##. Do you agree ?

[edit]vela was faster but (fortunately :rolleyes:)the replies match

5. Oct 18, 2015 #4
    Thank you for the fast response. Oh yeah i see, im sorry about that i am snotty and heavy-headed.

My biggest problem right now is i have no clue which direction i need to take to solve this. I want to find Q, without using any calculators, and the chapter which this problem is a part of does not explain anything resembling this. Am i on the right path or is there a much simpler way?

Btw thanks again for the fast responses and thank you for welcoming me to the forum :)

6. Oct 18, 2015 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, that is nice of you. So I'll throw in a hint: there is some information in the problem statement that you haven't used yet and that will give you a clue what the solution of this cubic equation might be .. :wink:

7. Oct 18, 2015 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You've taken a reasonable approach to the problem. You just need to get the algebra right.

As far as calculators go, we're not saying you need to use a calculator to solve the problem, but when you make mistakes, using a calculator to check and test your work is a good way to figure out where you went wrong. Also, looking at a specific example like a=1, can furnish you with insights on how to solve the general case. Solving a simpler but related problem can help you eventually solve the more general problem.

8. Oct 18, 2015 #7
    I've tried again:

3a^2=(x^3-a^3)/(x-a) <=> 3a^2 = x^2+a^2+ax <=> x^2-ax-2a^2 = 0

d = b^2 -4ac <=> d=9a^2

x = (a+3a)/2a v (a-3a)/2a <=> x = 2 v x = -1

So one of the x is where P is and the other is where Q is ? or have i gone down a wrong path?

I apologize if i am fumbling about with this, it is pretty late where i live

edit: If Q is to be found in (2,f(2)) the tangent would have a slope 4 times as steep as the tangent in P, and then P would be found in (-1,f(-1))?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  9. Oct 18, 2015 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You made a sign error somewhere. You should end up with ##x = \frac{-a \pm |3a|}{2}.## The ##a## that appears in the bottom of the quadratic formula is not the same as the ##a## you're using.

Remember how you defined your variables. You have ##x## as the x-coordinate of Q while ##a## is the x-coordinate of P.

10. Oct 19, 2015 #9
    Thanks!

So as of now i have the following solution:

f(x) = x^3, P(a,a^3), a=/=0, f'(x)=3x^2

TangentP = a^3+3a^2(x-a)

In the point Q, TangentP = f(x)

a^3+3a^2(x-a) = x^3 <=> x^2+ax-2a^2 = 0

x = a v x = -2a

The tangent equals f(x) in P and Q, and P is located at (a,a^3). This means Q must be located at x = -2a

Q is located at (-2a,(-2a)^3) = Q(-2a,-8a^3)

The tangent in Q is the following:

TangentQ = -8a^3 + 3(-2a)^2(x-a) = -8a^3 + 12a^2(x-a)

The slope of tangentP was 3 and the slope of tangentQ is 12.

I conclude that Q is located at (-2a,-8a^3). The tangent to the point Q on f(x) has a slope that is 12/3 = 4 times as steep as the slope of tangentP.

11. Oct 19, 2015 #10

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. The 4 is mentioned in the problem statement, so in fact you can get by just solving 3x^2 = 4 * 3 a^2 .

Old dutch saying: laziness makes inventive....

12. Oct 19, 2015 #11
    Im not sure my math professor would approve, i did something similar before and he did not like it.

13. Oct 19, 2015 #12

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sure, but once you know the answer is x = -2a you can check that it also satisfies the cubic equation :smile: (the other two solutions are x = a) and you don't have to tell explicitly how you found these factors...

from the picture it's evident

14. Oct 19, 2015 #13
    Thank you BvU and vela for your help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted