Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives of fourier transform

1. Mar 24, 2009 #1
    Can anyone explain me how to prove the following identity?

[tex]\frac{\partial \hat{f}}{\partial x}(0,0) = \int \int x^2f(x,y)dxdy[/tex]

where [tex]\hat{f}[/tex] denotes the Fourier Transform of f(x,y) ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2009 #2
    Well,
    I figured it out by myself. It was actually not hard, but unfortunately I noticed that in my first post the statement of the problem was wrong. I will show the solution for one dimension: the 2-dimensional case is trivial.

[tex]\frac{d}{d\omega}F\{f\} = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\partial}{\partial \omega}f(x)e^{-i\omega x}dx = -i\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}xf(x)e^{-i\omega x}dx[/tex]

The first step was Leibniz integral rule; now, iterating this process n-times yields:

[tex]\frac{d^n}{d\omega^n}F\{f\} = (-i)^{n}F\{x^{n}f\}[/tex]

We have just to set [tex]n=2[/tex] and [tex]\omega=0[/tex] in order to obtain:

[tex]\frac{d^2}{d\omega^2}F\{f\} = -\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x^{2}f(x)dx[/tex]

That was it: the second derivative (with opposite sign) of the Fourier transform of f at 0, is equivalent to the second moment of f.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook