Derivatives of functions and equality of those functions

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Niles
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivatives Functions
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Niles
Messages
1,834
Reaction score
0
Hi

I thought of something today coming home from school: If I have two arbitrary real functions f(x) and g(x) and I know that
[tex] \frac{df(x)}{x} = \frac{dg(x)}{dx}[/tex]
Does this imply that f(x)=g(x)?


Niles.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


i think you df(x)/dx for the right hand side

no, they might not be the same.

As an example f(x)=x^2 +3 and g(x) = x^2 - 4

What do you get for df(x)/dx and dg(x)/dx?
 


Yes, I meant dx, not x, in the denominator. Thanks for pointing that out.

OK, I see. So it must be correct up to an additive constant. Thanks.