Derive a general expression for range when launch angle=0

This means that you need to multiply the entire expression inside the square root by ##(v_0 \cos \theta)^4## to get the correct answer.In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving projectile motion and the use of quadratic formula to solve for the range. It is clarified that the problem involves firing the projectile horizontally off a cliff of height h, not over level ground. The use of the quadratic formula is explained, specifically the need to multiply the inside of the square root by certain factors. It is also mentioned that one of the solutions given in the conversation is incorrect.
aron silvester
1. The problem statement, all variables, and given/known data
problem statement.jpeg

Homework Equations

Relevant equation.jpeg

The Attempt at a Solution

So basically I took vertical direction formula and I solved for "t". I then took the horizontal direction formula and solved for "x" or we can also call x the "Range" since that's what the problem is asking for. Is this right?
IMG_1689.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct. Good job!

TSny said:
Correct. Good job!
Hey thanks, but my professor got this. The equation that I got is the same as the expression on the left side of the addition sign, and then he's adding an equation inside a square root. Why is that?
IMG_1697.jpeg

I haven't looked at your professors solution but I think yours is wrong.

If the launch angle is zero then sin(θ) = 0 and the range will always be zero unless it's fired from some initial height y0. Yet you state y0=0.

The problem statement mentions "h" which I think meant to be the initial launch height eg it's fired from the top of a hill of height h.

Likes TSny
i mean if you set up theta=0, you will not get the formula. then you get that formula, R=V0*t
= vo*√(2h/g)

Last edited:
aron silvester said:
Hey thanks, but my professor got this. The equation that I got is the same as the expression on the left side of the addition sign, and then he's adding an equation inside a square root. Why is that?
View attachment 212478
As @CWatters noted, you solved the problem for firing the projectile with a nonzero angle over level ground, so the projectile returns to the same height as it was fired from. But it looks like you were meant to solve a different problem where the projectile is fired horizontally (##\theta = 0##) off a cliff of height h. I apologize for not catching that earlier.

CWatters said:
I haven't looked at your professors solution but I think yours is wrong.

If the launch angle is zero then sin(θ) = 0 and the range will always be zero unless it's fired from some initial height y0. Yet you state y0=0.

The problem statement mentions "h" which I think meant to be the initial launch height eg it's fired from the top of a hill of height h.
TSny said:
As @CWatters noted, you solved the problem for firing the projectile with a nonzero angle over level ground, so the projectile returns to the same height as it was fired from. But it looks like you were meant to solve a different problem where the projectile is fired horizontally (##\theta = 0##) off a cliff of height h. I apologize for not catching that earlier.

I finally solved it, but I have a question. When I used the quadratic formula, why did I have to multiply the inside of the square root by (v^2cos^2(θ))/g^2 and again by (v^2cos^2(θ))/1 ?? The part where I do this is in pink ink.
IMG_1704.jpeg

aron silvester said:
I finally solved it, but I have a question. When I used the quadratic formula, why did I have to multiply the inside of the square root by (v^2cos^2(θ))/g^2 and again by (v^2cos^2(θ))/1 ?? The part where I do this is in pink ink.
View attachment 212534
upload_2017-10-7_15-17-32.png

When you bring something into the square root, you have to square it. The something here is ##\frac{v_0^2 \cos ^ 2\theta}{g}##. So, after bringing it into the square root, the ##v_0## and ##\cos{\theta}## are raised to the 4th power.

1. What is the range formula when the launch angle is 0?

The range formula when the launch angle is 0 is R = (v^2 * sin(2θ)) / g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How is the range affected by the launch angle being 0?

When the launch angle is 0, the range is maximized and is equal to (v^2 / g), meaning that the projectile will travel the furthest distance possible before hitting the ground.

3. Can the range formula be applied to any object launched at 0 degrees?

Yes, the range formula can be applied to any object launched at 0 degrees as long as there is no air resistance present.

4. How does the initial velocity affect the range when the launch angle is 0?

The initial velocity directly affects the range when the launch angle is 0, as seen in the range formula. The higher the initial velocity, the further the object will travel before hitting the ground.

5. Why is the range formula for launch angle=0 important in physics?

The range formula for launch angle=0 is important in physics because it helps us understand the maximum distance an object can travel when launched at a specific angle. This formula is also used in various real-world applications such as projectile motion and ballistics.