1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding relationship between Range and Launch height

1. Feb 8, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am currently trying to find a way to determine the relationship between launch height and range for a projectile launched at less than horizontal.

Would vary launch height to and measure range.

I need a directly proportional equation or at least a linear relationship.

2. Relevant equations

In next part

3. The attempt at a solution

Sh = Vh*t
    Sv = Vov*t + 1/2*a*t^2

Where the launch velocity components are:

Vv = v*sin(launch angle)
    Vh = v*cos(Launch Angle)

Therefore,

Sh = v * cos(launch angle) * t so t = Sh/v*cos(launch angle)
    Sv = v*sin(launch angle) * t + 1/2*a*t^2

Substituting time,
    Sv = v*sin(launch angle) * (Sh/ v * cos(launch angle)) + 1/2 * a * (Sh/ v * cos(launch angle))^2

This is as far as I have got however I need to find a way to show the direct relationship between launch height and range. I am assuming now this isn't possible due to the quadratic, however can anyone think of a solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2017 #2

olivermsun

Science Advisor

Can you solve for the zeros of a quadratic equation (in general)?

4. Feb 8, 2017 #3
    Yes but having it in a quadratic form won't give a linear relationship. Is there an alternative to my method that would yield a linear relationship between range and launch height?

5. Feb 8, 2017 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why would you expect to have the relationship be linear? I'm not saying that I KNOW it to be non-linear, but I would have started out with the assumption that it would NOT be, not that it would be.

6. Feb 8, 2017 #5
    For the purpose of the school report, we must have a linear relationship in the form y = mx +c, so that the m value can be compared to measured values to prove the accuracy of the data.

7. Feb 8, 2017 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, maybe the relationship IS linear, I just would not have expected it to be.

8. Feb 9, 2017 #7

olivermsun

Science Advisor

Why must the relationship be linear to compare measured to predicted values? You could have some other functional form and still compare, couldn't you?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted