Derive delta potential bound states from finite square well

In summary, the conversation revolves around deriving the delta function bound state energies from the finite square well potential. The method of taking limits is suggested, specifically by making V_0 approach infinity and a approach zero while keeping their product constant. The correct equation for the finite square well energy levels is mentioned and the problem of calculating the energy levels and plotting eigenfunctions for a specific system is brought up. Assistance is requested in solving this problem.
shehry1

Homework Statement

I have to show that the delta function bound state energies can be derived from the finite square well potential.

Homework Equations

The wave functions in the three regions for the finite square well. (See wikipedia)

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I start from the wave functions and apply the boundary conditions.
2. The coefficient to the Sin portion in the well would vanish and so(B=G=H in the wiki article).
3. Now I am stuck. I try to use the normalization condition but there is not just E (in the form of alpha or k but also the coefficient.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't start from boundary conditions etc.: you already have the exact solutions of the finite square well. All you have to do is take limits in the right way so as to turn a finite square well into a delta-function potential. How would you do that?

borgwal said:
Don't start from boundary conditions etc.: you already have the exact solutions of the finite square well. All you have to do is take limits in the right way so as to turn a finite square well into a delta-function potential. How would you do that?

I tried that as well. For example I started with Griffiths 2.153:
[tex] E_n + V_o = (n^2 \pi^2 (h/2\pi)^2)/(2 m (2a^2)) [/tex] but not only that [tex]V_o[/tex] is approaching infinity but also that a is approaching 0. My attempt to make it so that the product of 'a' and [tex] V_o[/tex] become a constant have been fruitless.

But that is the correct way, V_0 to infinity, a to zero, with the product of a and V_0 fixed...to what?

The energy you mention is wrong though, that is not the equation for the finite square well.

Now I need help :)

Since you have Griffiths' book, you can look up the whole solution for the finite square well, and take the right limits.

I need help. :)
given that
V(x) = 0 , lxl < a
= V_o , lxl >a

with V_o > 0

Calculate the energy levels and plot the eigen functions for the three bound states of this system when V_oa^2=(6h-bar)/m.

I duno what to do with this question, anybody who can tell me what should I do??

correction(sory)
given that
V(x) = 0 , lxl < a
= V_o , lxl >a

with V_o > 0

Calculate the energy levels and plot the eigen functions for the three bound states of this system when V_oa^2=(6h-bar^2)/m.

I duno what to do with this question, anybody who can tell me what should I do??

1. How does the finite square well potential differ from the delta potential?

The finite square well potential is a continuous potential that smoothly transitions from a finite value inside the well to zero outside, while the delta potential is a discontinuous potential that has a spike at the center. This spike represents an infinitely high potential barrier, making it a very different potential from the finite square well.

2. What are bound states in quantum mechanics?

Bound states are energy levels in a quantum system where the particle is confined to a finite region due to the potential energy barrier. These states are characterized by discrete energy levels and are typically associated with stable systems.

3. How do you derive delta potential bound states from a finite square well?

To derive the delta potential bound states from a finite square well, we first set the potential energy to infinity at the center of the well, representing the delta potential. Then, using the boundary conditions and the Schrodinger equation, we solve for the energy levels and wavefunctions of the bound states.

4. What is the significance of the delta potential bound states?

The delta potential bound states are important because they provide a simplified model for studying quantum systems with point-like interactions. This type of potential is commonly used in many areas of physics, such as in nuclear physics and solid-state physics.

5. Can the delta potential bound states be observed in real-life systems?

Yes, the delta potential bound states have been observed in experiments involving quantum dots, where the potential is approximated by a delta function. They have also been observed in experiments involving ultracold atoms confined in optical lattices, where the delta potential is created using laser beams.