1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Derive Electric Potential Energy

1. Feb 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known
    For a a uniformly charged sphere of radius R with total charge Q, show that the potential energy of a point charge q' varies with r

U(r) = Qq'/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]R * (3/2 - r2/2R2 if r < R

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]U = - [tex]\int[/tex]E(r)q'dr cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used that the electric field of q' when r < R is Qr/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]R3. I tried to integrate from initial to final for r, but then I only get 1/2 as opposed to 3. I have no idea where the 3 comes from.

Can someone help please?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

What did you take as the initial and final r's? You have to integrate from infinity to r because potential energies are always stated with the potential at infinity as 0. (Of course, the electric field outside the sphere is not E=kQr/R^3, which adds another complication.)

4. Feb 14, 2010 #3
    Ohh, I took the initial r to be R. Does that mean I have to add back the potential energy at R from infinity in order to get the expression for the potential energy at r when r < R?

5. Feb 14, 2010 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

6. Feb 14, 2010 #5
    Thank you!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook