Derive infinitesimal rotation operator

In summary, the book gives this equation with epsilon the infinitesimal rotation angle:$$ \hat{R}(\epsilon) \psi(r,\theta, \phi) = \psi(r,\theta, \phi - \epsilon) $$but I don't get the next line in the book:$$ \approx \psi(r,\theta, \phi) - \epsilon \frac{\partial \psi(r,\theta, \phi)}{\partial \phi} + \frac{\epsilon^2}{2} \frac{\partial^2 \psi(r
ognik

Homework Statement

Derive the infinitesimal rotation operator around the z-axis.

Homework Equations

My book gives this equation (which I follow) with epsilon the infinitesimal rotation angle:
$$ \hat{R}(\epsilon) \psi(r,\theta, \phi) = \psi(r,\theta, \phi - \epsilon) $$
but I just don't get the next line in the book:
$$ \approx \psi(r,\theta, \phi) - \epsilon \frac{\partial \psi(r,\theta, \phi)}{\partial \phi} + \frac{\epsilon^2}{2} \frac{\partial^2 \psi(r,\theta, \phi)}{\partial \phi^2} ...$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I was expecting something like
$$ =(1-\epsilon) \psi(r,\theta, \phi) $$
I can see the books Eq is a series, but just can't see how they get to it, with partial diffs as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a Taylor series.

Thanks, I can almost see that - I assume this uses partials because we only vary ϕ ?
I can't quite see how -ϵ is included?

Well, would you be happier with $$
\hat{R'}(\epsilon) \psi(r,\theta, \phi) = \psi(r,\theta, \phi + \epsilon)
$$when you write that as a Taylor series ?

Sorry, no. I suspect there is something about the ϕ - ϵ term in a function that I just don't know - and couldn't find by searching. (the text has ϵ clockwise, so I'm happy with the -ϵ). To revert to Wiki basics: f(x) at a point a =:
upload_2015-4-18_10-36-20.png

So f is ψ(r,θ,ϕ) in this case, and x is ϕ ? a should be ϵ ? Already I can see this isn't working ...

Think more along the lines of ##f(a+\varepsilon)##. What would its Taylor expansion be about ##x=a##?

Thanks, that would give the coefficients, but then why wouldn't we have ϕ+ϵ in f(a), like
$$ \approx ψ(r,θ,ϕ+\epsilon)−ϵ\frac{∂ψ(r,θ,ϕ+\epsilon)}{∂ϕ}+\frac{ϵ^2}{2}\frac{∂^2ψ(r,θ,ϕ+\epsilon)}{∂ϕ^2} $$

With $$
\frac{∂ψ(r,θ,ϕ)}{∂ϕ}=\lim_{\epsilon\downarrow 0} \ \frac {ψ(r,θ,ϕ+\epsilon) - ψ(r,θ,ϕ)}{\epsilon}
$$
you get a plus sign in (*)
$$
ψ(r,θ,ϕ+\epsilon) = ψ(r,θ,ϕ)+ϵ\frac{∂ψ(r,θ,ϕ)}{∂ϕ}+\frac{ϵ^2}{2}\frac{∂^2ψ(r,θ,ϕ)}{∂ϕ^2} \ + \mathcal O (\epsilon^3)
$$
and a minus sign in
$$
ψ(r,θ,ϕ-\epsilon) = ψ(r,θ,ϕ)-ϵ\frac{∂ψ(r,θ,ϕ)}{∂ϕ}+\frac{(-ϵ)^2}{2}\frac{∂^2ψ(r,θ,ϕ)}{∂ϕ^2} \ + \mathcal O (\epsilon^3)
$$

(*)
The Taylor expansion of ##f(a+\varepsilon)## about ##x=a## is not with ##\frac{∂f(a+\varepsilon)}{∂x}## and ##\frac{∂^2f(a+\varepsilon)}{∂x^2}## etc.
but with ##\frac{∂f(a)}{∂x}## and ##\frac{∂^2f(a)}{∂x^2}## etc.​

--

Sorry, I'm still stuck here. If I took the the Taylor series of ψ(r,θ,ϕ) w.r.t. ϕ, I would get
$$ ψ(r,θ,ϕ)+\frac{∂ψ(r,θ,ϕ)}{∂ϕ}+\frac{∂^2 ψ(r,θ,ϕ)}{∂ϕ^2}+... $$
Then if I look at Taylor series of f(a+ε), I can see clearly how ε works in the coefficients, but we seem to be using f(a+ε) for the coefficients, and f(a) for the functions/differentials?

Take ##f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + \frac{1}{2!}f''(a)(x-a)^2 + \frac{1}{3!}f'''(a)(x-a)^3 + \cdots## and use the substitution ##x = a + \varepsilon##. What do you get?

well, when you put it that way ... :-) I do muddle myself up sometimes, thanks for your patience.

ognik said:
...the Taylor series of ψ(r,θ,ϕ) w.r.t. ϕ, I would get
$$ ψ(r,θ,ϕ)+\frac{∂ψ(r,θ,ϕ)}{∂ϕ}+\frac{∂^2 ψ(r,θ,ϕ)}{∂ϕ^2}+... $$
Almost, but you can see from dimensional considerations that it should be something like
$$
ψ(r,θ,ϕ+\epsilon) = ψ(r,θ,ϕ)+ϵ\frac{∂ψ(r,θ,ϕ)}{∂ϕ}+\frac{ϵ^2}{2}\frac{∂^2ψ(r,θ,ϕ)}{∂ϕ^2} \ + \mathcal O (\epsilon^3)
$$

I wouldn't have thought of that, I like it - thanks also.

What is the "Derive Infinitesimal Rotation Operator"?

The Derive Infinitesimal Rotation Operator is a mathematical tool used to describe the infinitesimal rotation of a vector or coordinate system. It is often used in quantum mechanics and other areas of physics.

How is the Derive Infinitesimal Rotation Operator derived?

The Derive Infinitesimal Rotation Operator is derived from the rotation matrix, which represents a rotation in three-dimensional space. The operator is then defined as the limit of the rotation matrix as the angle approaches zero.

What is the purpose of the Derive Infinitesimal Rotation Operator?

The Derive Infinitesimal Rotation Operator allows for the description of small rotations in a precise and mathematically rigorous way. It is particularly useful in quantum mechanics where small rotations can greatly affect the behavior of particles.

How does the Derive Infinitesimal Rotation Operator relate to angular momentum?

The Derive Infinitesimal Rotation Operator is closely related to angular momentum, as it is used to describe the infinitesimal rotation of a system. In quantum mechanics, angular momentum operators are defined using the Derive Infinitesimal Rotation Operator.

What are the applications of the Derive Infinitesimal Rotation Operator?

The Derive Infinitesimal Rotation Operator has many applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics and classical mechanics. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to model and manipulate 3D objects.